xfce terminal cursor, can I leave the text colour unchanged?

xfce terminal cursor, can I leave the text colour unchanged?

Chris Green-2
I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.

I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
don't show up well in the blue cursor.  Is it possible to have a blue
cursor with black text in it?

--
Chris Green

Re: xfce terminal cursor, can I leave the text colour unchanged?

Igor Zakharov
04.06.2017, 06:10, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:
> I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.
>
> I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
> character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
> don't show up well in the blue cursor. Is it possible to have a blue
> cursor with black text in it?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for pointing this out. I will add option to select cursor foreground (text) color to preferences - but please note that it's only available starting with vte 0.44.

BTW, I find I-shaped cursor very convenient, have you tried it?

Regards,
Igor

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 08:34:04AM -0400, Igor Zakharov wrote:

> 04.06.2017, 06:10, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:
> > I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.
> >
> > I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
> > character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
> > don't show up well in the blue cursor. Is it possible to have a blue
> > cursor with black text in it?
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. I will add option to select cursor foreground
> (text) color to preferences - but please note that it's only available
> starting with vte 0.44.
>
> BTW, I find I-shaped cursor very convenient, have you tried it?

On my system the I cursor is almost invisible, I do have quite small
text and the I cursor is just too thin to be easily visible.

04.06.2017, 08:52, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 08:34:04AM -0400, Igor Zakharov wrote:
>>  04.06.2017, 06:10, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:
>>  > I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.
>>  >
>>  > I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
>>  > character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
>>  > don't show up well in the blue cursor. Is it possible to have a blue
>>  > cursor with black text in it?
>>
>>  Hi Chris,
>>
>>  Thanks for pointing this out. I will add option to select cursor foreground
>>  (text) color to preferences - but please note that it's only available
>>  starting with vte 0.44.
>>
>>  BTW, I find I-shaped cursor very convenient, have you tried it?
>
> On my system the I cursor is almost invisible, I do have quite small
> text and the I cursor is just too thin to be easily visible.

I've added the option in https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/commit/?id=7a3d977c8d2a5d7d01a8db4885fbcc709da4c563

Regards,
Igor

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 09:58:26PM -0400, Igor Zakharov wrote:

> 04.06.2017, 08:52, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:
> > On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 08:34:04AM -0400, Igor Zakharov wrote:
> >>  04.06.2017, 06:10, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]>:
> >>  > I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.
> >>  >
> >>  > I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
> >>  > character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
> >>  > don't show up well in the blue cursor. Is it possible to have a blue
> >>  > cursor with black text in it?
> >>
> >>  Hi Chris,
> >>
> >>  Thanks for pointing this out. I will add option to select cursor foreground
> >>  (text) color to preferences - but please note that it's only available
> >>  starting with vte 0.44.
> >>
> >>  BTW, I find I-shaped cursor very convenient, have you tried it?
> >
> > On my system the I cursor is almost invisible, I do have quite small
> > text and the I cursor is just too thin to be easily visible.
>
> I've added the option in https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/commit/?id=7a3d977c8d2a5d7d01a8db4885fbcc709da4c563

Thanks Igor, when is that likely to get into the xubuntu repositories?
Will it get into 17.10?

 04.06.2017, 08:52, "Chris Green" <cl@...>:
 > On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 08:34:04AM -0400, Igor Zakharov wrote:
 >>  04.06.2017, 06:10, "Chris Green" <cl@...>:
 >>  > I use a light background with black text in my xfce terminal.
 >>  >
 >>  > I have a blue block cursor and when it is over a character the
 >>  > character is white (presumably reverse of black), white characters
 >>  > don't show up well in the blue cursor. Is it possible to have a blue
 >>  > cursor with black text in it?
 >>
 >>  Hi Chris,
 >>
 >>  Thanks for pointing this out. I will add option to select cursor foreground
 >>  (text) color to preferences - but please note that it's only available
 >>  starting with vte 0.44.
 >>
 >>  BTW, I find I-shaped cursor very convenient, have you tried it?
 >
 > On my system the I cursor is almost invisible, I do have quite small
 > text and the I cursor is just too thin to be easily visible.

 I've added the option in https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/commit/?id=7a3d977c…

Thanks Igor, when is that likely to get into the xubuntu repositories?
Will it get into 17.10?

Chris, I think it will get into 17.10, yes.

Regards,
Igor