moving thunar to gtk3

Alex

Hi all,

I would like to start work on moving thunar to gtk3. However I have some very basic questions:

I dont have an account for git.xfce.org yet.

Should I get an account first to be able to generate a branch there?

Or is it as well fine for you if I fork & provide the result on e.g. github ?

Regarding the right codebase:

Should I branch the master of <a rel="vcs-git" href="git://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar" title="thunar Git repository">git://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar ?

Or should I use some of the (real old) work in process repos as base, which are suggested here: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap/thunar ?

[Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step   Vladimír Chren
--> looks like these patches are not merged into master yet ?

Thanks & Cheers,
Alex

Re: moving thunar to gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss
Hi Alex,

that's great!
Please note that Thunar isn't very stable as it is in Gtk2, mostly threading stuff as far as I can tell.

There are various efforts which have been undertaken by different people, there is a fairly old but probably ok approach from Nick on git.xfce.org and there are also two (unfinished?) ports on github. So the first job would be evaluating those efforts and merging them meaningfully.
Furthermore you'll face several design decisions, e.g. regarding custom widgetry or exo.

Providing your work on github is a good start.

You should definitely join the irc channel though, helps with getting answers and hopefully guidance at times. Please be patient though, people aren't always around.

Cheers
Simon

Alex <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 13. Apr. 2017, 23:52:

Hi all,

I would like to start work on moving thunar to gtk3. However I have some very basic questions:

I dont have an account for git.xfce.org yet.

Should I get an account first to be able to generate a branch there?

Or is it as well fine for you if I fork & provide the result on e.g. github ?

Regarding the right codebase:

Should I branch the master of git://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar ?

Or should I use some of the (real old) work in process repos as base, which are suggested here: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap/thunar ?

[Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step   Vladimír Chren
--> looks like these patches are not merged into master yet ?

Thanks & Cheers,
Alex

Re: moving thunar to gtk3

André Miranda
As we have discussed at #xfce-dev, I created a github fork (github.com/andreldm/thunar), applied the changes from rgcjonas/thunar-gtk3 on top of the current master and made two small fixes to make it compile again. Taking a quick look, things are mostly working, I could only spot broken icons when using Compact List and Icons views. I think that the job now is to assess the regressions (and fix them) and handle the deprecations warnings (not the most urgent task, but very welcome).

So I propose to anyone that wishes to collaborate to fork my fork and make pull requests (or ask me push rights if you will) then eventually we should be able to get thunar in shape to merge with master @ git.xfce.org.

Cheers,
Andre Miranda