libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

Eduard Roccatello
Hello folks,

I've started working on libxfce4ui porting to GTK3 as I've seen no-one
is working on that yet (am I right?).

As usual I've setup my user repo on github
https://github.com/mastershadow/libxfce4ui

My last commit restricts compatibility to GTK3 3.14 or major.
I've kept the API versions that were set before when gtk3 was found (so
it creates libxfce4ui-2.la and libxfce4kbd-3.la).

ciao!
Eduard

Re: libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss
Hi!

Uhm, actually that library compiles against both Gtk2 and Gtk3 already, which is how apps like Parole can be Gtk3-only but still make use of it.
I think dropping Gtk2 support for the next release is a really bad idea simply because not everything Xfce might be ported by then (the goal is the the core).

So yeah, tbh I think this library can stay as it is for 4.14. I think there are bigger fish to fry, e.g. how to deal with all the deprecations (stock items anyone?) in other libs.

Cheers
Simon

Il 29/10/15 22:34, Simon Steinbeiss ha scritto:

> Uhm, actually that library compiles against both Gtk2 and Gtk3
> already, which is how apps like Parole can be Gtk3-only but still make
> use of it.
> I think dropping Gtk2 support for the next release is a really bad
> idea simply because not everything Xfce might be ported by then (the
> goal is the the core).
>
> So yeah, tbh I think this library can stay as it is for 4.14. I think
> there are bigger fish to fry, e.g. how to deal with all the
> deprecations (stock items anyone?) in other libs.

Hello Simon,

I think we should drop GTK2 support.
libxfce4ui is a core component and Xfce 4.14 will be GTK3 only so I
don't really see the need to have GTK2 support.
Also having a dep on GTK2 imho is more bloatness in os maintenance.

Obviously this is my opinion and I'd like to hear others' opinion to
make a choice :)

Cheers,
Eduard

PS: Simon please do not top quote :-P

Re: libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

Silvio Knizek-2

Re: Re: libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

flo.xfce
I think libxfce4ui (end exo and all the others) should be Gtk3-only in the next release. Otherwise maintaining the code with all the #ifdef's is a pain in the a..
libxfce4ui 4.12 will still exist. Everybody who uses goodies or plugins that require the old versions can wait on 4.12 until those are ported, too. Don't forget: 4.14 won't add new features. So upgrading to 4.14 has only little advantages. Should there be any bugfixes I would say it is easier to backport them than to maintain a Gtk2+3 code base. And last but not least: The amount of goodies and plugins is not extremly big. Definitly a fait amount of work but doable. I already took a few looks into the goodies, mostly the ports are straightforward, but it can't be done until the libraries are ported, too.

Il 30/10/15 09:21, killermoehre ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> from a supporters view dropping GTK2 completly would be horrible, because many plugins for the panel are not rewritten for GTK3 yet. For distributions it shouldn't be a problem to ship GTK2. Yes, the focus should be GTK3, but we can't drop all the plugins XFCE is famous for, imho.
Panel will be gtk3 only so plugins should be ported to it.

Eduard

Re: libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss
Actually the current Gtk2 panel supports Gtk3 plugins and the Gtk3 branch of the panel supports Gtk2 plugins. This is a meaningful measure to ensure users don't have to forgo lots of plugins or goodies that have no maintainer.

Personally I don't see the overhead you're mentioning – distros will likely install Gtk2 by default for quite a while longer. Furthermore it's up to packagers to split the lib into two packages if they really don't want the Gtk2 parts, if that's really something packagers and distro maintainers want we can make a Gtk3-only compile option.
Finally, as you've seen it's not very hard to kick out the Gtk2-only parts, so if we really decide to go down that road we can decide briefly before the 4.14 release, from which we're still quite far away.

Cheers
Simon

Re: libxfce4ui user repo for gtk3

Tim Tassonis
On 10/30/15 11:17, Eduard Roccatello wrote:
> Il 30/10/15 09:21, killermoehre ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> from a supporters view dropping GTK2 completly would be horrible,
>> because many plugins for the panel are not rewritten for GTK3 yet. For
>> distributions it shouldn't be a problem to ship GTK2. Yes, the focus
>> should be GTK3, but we can't drop all the plugins XFCE is famous for,
>> imho.
> Panel will be gtk3 only so plugins should be ported to it.

So, should they? And what if they aren't? What's your problem with
keeping gtk2 in, you're not even maintaining the package?

Are you also porting:

- xfce4-screenshooter
- xfce4-terminal

and other stuff currently depending on libxfce4ui-1.so.0 while you're at
it? Or do you just want to tell all the users to not use those anymore?