exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default terminal program.

I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:

xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh

and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop

But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to setup exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?

Is this possible?

The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give an option to send more arguments that I can see.

I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I said that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Silvio Knizek-2

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:

>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
I never added scp with xdg-mime. I did add ssh which seems to work for gnome-open but not for exo-open.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
xdg-mime default scp.desktop x-scheme-handler/scp
nano ~/.local/share/applications/scp.desktop

<=============content
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=bash -c '(URL="%U" HOST="${URL:6}"; $HOME/test_scp.sh $HOST); bash'
Icon=utilities-terminal
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/ssh
Name=SSH Launcher
Comment=Launch SSH
<===============end content

did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I never added scp with xdg-mime. I did add ssh which seems to work for gnome-open but not for exo-open.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
I realize you said sftp not scp which when I tried sftp it did nothing like ssh did.
When I tried setting it with xdg-mime it still does nothing. Interesting that scp did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
xdg-mime default scp.desktop x-scheme-handler/scp
nano ~/.local/share/applications/scp.desktop

<=============content
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=bash -c '(URL="%U" HOST="${URL:6}"; $HOME/test_scp.sh $HOST); bash'
Icon=utilities-terminal
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/ssh
Name=SSH Launcher
Comment=Launch SSH
<===============end content

did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I never added scp with xdg-mime. I did add ssh which seems to work for gnome-open but not for exo-open.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
So most other protocols it looks like I can setup as I want why can't I set ssh or sftp what would be preventing that?
I tried with ssi://<computer> and did what I did with ssh replacing the ssi at the end and it launches my ssh with the ssi://<computer> link

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realize you said sftp not scp which when I tried sftp it did nothing like ssh did.
When I tried setting it with xdg-mime it still does nothing. Interesting that scp did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
xdg-mime default scp.desktop x-scheme-handler/scp
nano ~/.local/share/applications/scp.desktop

<=============content
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=bash -c '(URL="%U" HOST="${URL:6}"; $HOME/test_scp.sh $HOST); bash'
Icon=utilities-terminal
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/ssh
Name=SSH Launcher
Comment=Launch SSH
<===============end content

did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I never added scp with xdg-mime. I did add ssh which seems to work for gnome-open but not for exo-open.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
After a while I get a message in a popup:

Failed to open "File System".
Connection failed.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
So most other protocols it looks like I can setup as I want why can't I set ssh or sftp what would be preventing that?
I tried with ssi://<computer> and did what I did with ssh replacing the ssi at the end and it launches my ssh with the ssi://<computer> link

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I realize you said sftp not scp which when I tried sftp it did nothing like ssh did.
When I tried setting it with xdg-mime it still does nothing. Interesting that scp did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
xdg-mime default scp.desktop x-scheme-handler/scp
nano ~/.local/share/applications/scp.desktop

<=============content
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=bash -c '(URL="%U" HOST="${URL:6}"; $HOME/test_scp.sh $HOST); bash'
Icon=utilities-terminal
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/ssh
Name=SSH Launcher
Comment=Launch SSH
<===============end content

did work.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I never added scp with xdg-mime. I did add ssh which seems to work for gnome-open but not for exo-open.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Failed to open URI "scp://jeff-server/home/jeff/testfile".
The specified location is not supported

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 4. April 2017 19:57:32 MESZ schrieb Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]>:
>I would like to set exo-open to run a script of mine in the default
>terminal program.
>
>I have "gnome-open ssh://<computer>" acting as I like by using:
>
>xdg-mime default ssh.desktop x-scheme-handler/ssh
>
>and used a text editor to make ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>
>But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I would like to know how to
>setup
>exo-open to recognize a new protocol like ssh://<computer>?
>
>Is this possible?
>
>The purpose is to use this in google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>an
>option to send more arguments that I can see.
>
>I see people talking about adding options to the command line but as I
>said
>that will not work as other programs will not send those to xdg-open.

Hi Jeff,

does it work if you just use »exo-open sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
for now I wrote a wrapper like so

#!/bin/bash
if [ "${1:0:6}" = "ssh://" ];then
/usr/bin/gnome-open "$@"
else
/usr/bin/exo-open-moved "$@"
fi

I moved /usr/bin/exo-open to /usr/bin/exo-open-moved
and linked to my wrapper from /usr/bin/exo-open

Am 05.04.2017 um 18:25 schrieb Jeff Sadowski:

> [...]
>                             x-scheme-handler/ssh
>                             >
>                             >and used a text editor to make
>                             ~/.local/share/applications/ssh.desktop
>                             >
>                             >But xdg-open uses exo-open for XFCE4 so I
>                             would like to know how to
>                             >setup
>                             >exo-open to recognize a new protocol like
>                             ssh://<computer>?
>                             >
>                             >Is this possible?
>                             >
>                             >The purpose is to use this in
>                             google-chrome. Google-chrome doesn't give
>                             >an
>                             >option to send more arguments that I can see.
>                             >
>                             >I see people talking about adding options
>                             to the command line but as I
>                             >said
>                             >that will not work as other programs will

Hi,

»xdg-open ssh://host/path/to/file« is working very well for me on my
Arch Linux without any need for wrappers. But if you want to be a little
bit more purist, use first »gvfs-mount ssh://host/path/to/file« and than
»gvfs-open ssh://host/path/to/file«, because exo-open (called by
xdg-open if this script detects Xfce) is basically falling back to gvfs
(first mounting, than opening) if available.

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:48 AM, killermoehre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>                             >an
>                             >option to send more arguments that I can see.
>                             >
>                             >I see people talking about adding options
>                             to the command line but as I
>                             >said
>                             >that will not work as other programs will
>                             not send those to xdg-open.
>
>                             Hi Jeff,
>
>                             does it work if you just use »exo-open
>                             sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Hi,

»xdg-open ssh://host/path/to/file« is working very well for me on my
Arch Linux without any need for wrappers. But if you want to be a little
bit more purist, use first »gvfs-mount ssh://host/path/to/file« and than
»gvfs-open ssh://host/path/to/file«, because exo-open (called by
xdg-open if this script detects Xfce) is basically falling back to gvfs
(first mounting, than opening) if available.

Are you able to change the behavior for ssh:// and sftp:// as I tried with xdg-mime?
I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 with the xfce4 desktop
I think something is set somewhere preventing me from changing the defaults for exo-open which I don't know what they are set to do.
When I messed up and set scp I was able to get that working as I wanted but I can not change the behavior of ssh:// or sftp://

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Jeff Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>                             sftp://host/path/to/file«?

Hi,

»xdg-open ssh://host/path/to/file« is working very well for me on my
Arch Linux without any need for wrappers. But if you want to be a little
bit more purist, use first »gvfs-mount ssh://host/path/to/file« and than
»gvfs-open ssh://host/path/to/file«, because exo-open (called by
xdg-open if this script detects Xfce) is basically falling back to gvfs
(first mounting, than opening) if available.

Are you able to change the behavior for ssh:// and sftp:// as I tried with xdg-mime?
I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 with the xfce4 desktop
I think something is set somewhere preventing me from changing the defaults for exo-open which I don't know what they are set to do.
When I messed up and set scp I was able to get that working as I wanted but I can not change the behavior of ssh:// or sftp://
Re-reading what you said I'd definitely want to change the default behavior of ssh://
as I expect it to be ssh://[username[:password]@]host[:port] format as described elsewhere on the net. Not at all like a file path.
I don't want gvfs touching it.
That is likely what it is doing is trying to give it to gvfs it would make sense of the error messages but not at all what I want ssh:// doing.

Re: exo-open ssh://<computer>

Jeff Sadowski
Does exo-open not allow me to change what application is used for the ssh URI?