Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Ali Abdallah-3
Dear all,

This is to announce that our notification daemon has been ported to
gdbus and gtk3. Note that there are two branches in
git://git.xfce.org/users/ali/xfce4-notifyd

gdbus-port: For the dbus work
gtk3-port: For the gtk3 port on top of gdbus-port.

The new port supports CSS theming, for that I have updated the themes
shipped with their closes CSS equivalents.

Note that there have been efforts to port xfce4-notifyd to gtk3:
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-August/031405.html
https://github.com/Flow-It/xfce4-notifyd

I did not continue from there, because simply the drawing of the
notifications had to be re-written in order to get theme working.

Happy testing,
Ali

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

flo.xfce
Thanks for the great work. I started in a new job so I had to delay my porting efforts, but good to see that you did the work. I just had a quick look at the changes. What I would like to have is an option to use the system theme. Of course this would mean that themes like Adwaita or Greybird need to support the notification window. But it would integrate better in the overall visual experience. Nevertheless, I understand this is just a simple port, not about adding features. But maybe it would be easy to implement with the Gtk3 theming changes.
Kind regards

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss

Great work Ali - I'll try to check this out asap!

Wrt Florian's suggestion: for Greybird this would be OK, but I'm sure the gnome theme maintainers wouldn't include extra code for an Xfce app. This means using the system theme would have to be clever and use the right colors by default, with no extra code needed on the theme side. I'd say it's doable, we also managed with xfwm4's tabwin for instance.

If you need further input, let me know.

Cheers
Simon

<[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 13. Okt. 2015 15:23:

Thanks for the great work. I started in a new job so I had to delay my porting efforts, but good to see that you did the work. I just had a quick look at the changes. What I would like to have is an option to use the system theme. Of course this would mean that themes like Adwaita or Greybird need to support the notification window. But it would integrate better in the overall visual experience. Nevertheless, I understand this is just a simple port, not about adding features. But maybe it would be easy to implement with the Gtk3 theming changes.
Kind

regards

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

André Miranda-2
Great job Ali, using here, the compilation was clean without warnings
and it's working nicely so far.
The only downside is that the Default theme used to have rounded
corners, now it's a plain gray rectangle.
(Archlinux, gtk 3.16)

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 10/13/2015 10:08 AM, Ali Abdallah wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is to announce that our notification daemon has been ported to
> gdbus and gtk3. Note that there are two branches in
> git://git.xfce.org/users/ali/xfce4-notifyd
>
> gdbus-port: For the dbus work
> gtk3-port: For the gtk3 port on top of gdbus-port.
>
> The new port supports CSS theming, for that I have updated the themes
> shipped with their closes CSS equivalents.
>
> Note that there have been efforts to port xfce4-notifyd to gtk3:
> https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-August/031405.html
> https://github.com/Flow-It/xfce4-notifyd
>
> I did not continue from there, because simply the drawing of the
> notifications had to be re-written in order to get theme working.
>
> Happy testing,
> Ali

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Ali Abdallah-3
Yes it is a bit ugly. I will fix it. I see that the section
'.app-notification' is present in all my gtk-3 themes that I have. So
maybe I can fallback to this section of the current theme.

Cheers,
Ali

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Ali Abdallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it is a bit ugly. I will fix it. I see that the section
'.app-notification' is present in all my gtk-3 themes that I have. So
maybe I can fallback to this section of the current theme.

Cheers,
Ali

Hey Ali,

first of all the whole thing works nicely and looks almost like the Gtk2 variant. Obviously a lot more is possible with Gtk3 but that's up to the themes. One notable difference to the current release of xfce4-notifyd is the summary, which is bold (yeah, typo-alarm in Smoke/gtk.css:21) and not centered but left-aligned (which I think makes sense). But apart from these tiny cosmetica you did a great job here!
(I also noticed quite some indent inconsistency - tabs versus spaces etc. Now I know some consider this nit-picky, but to me it's part of the code quality.)

With respect to using pre-existing classes for styling this window by default I would stick to whatever is present in Adwaita, which recently turned from the de-facto standard in Gtk3 to *the* standard theme (after all, it's the general fallback now). Plus, I would be hesitant to use any of those classes as it's not always clear in what contexts they are or will be used. E.g. what if the .app-notification class doesn't really work well for notifyd anymore in Gtk3.20 because the Gnome Design team decides to use it for something odd from our POV?

Personally for system style I'd still go down to colors and set some reasonable ones and also set some other reasonable default values for borders, border-radius etc. (Basically just something that isn't ZOMG Ponies!)

Cheers
Simon

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Ali Abdallah-3
Dear all,

I invite you to check the latest commits. When the default theme is
used, the notification daemon now
selects correctly the style of the notification popups from the current
user theme. No longer ugly plain rectangles.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 9:21 AM Ali Abdallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I invite you to check the latest commits. When the default theme is
used, the notification daemon now
selects correctly the style of the notification popups from the current
user theme. No longer ugly plain rectangles.

Cheers,
Ali

Hey!

Nice work - looks good to me and works fine with Adwaita and a few other themes I tried.
One thing I noticed when writing a dedicated theme for Greybird was that for some reason the GtkProgressBar can't be themed. Now this is really strange and I'm wondering whether it happens because it's only created so late in the process. I played a bit with the code but couldn't really get this to work. Any ideas on your side?

FWIW I'm using your port on a daily basis now and I'll let you know if I run into any instabilities or regressions. So far it's looking very promising.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

André Miranda-2
Hello Ali,
Indeed the default theme is now friendly, but in the config dialog the
Default is labeled Smoke and Smoke now is Default, is it a bug or am I
messing anything here? (GTK2: Orion, GTK3: Adwaita).
Another thing is the title centered, as Simon has already mentioned, I
agree that now it's better.

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 10/16/2015 03:51 AM, Ali Abdallah wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I invite you to check the latest commits. When the default theme is
> used, the notification daemon now
> selects correctly the style of the notification popups from the
> current user theme. No longer ugly plain rectangles.
>
> Cheers,
> Ali
>
> On 10/13/2015 05:01 PM, André Miranda wrote:
>> Great job Ali, using here, the compilation was clean without warnings
>> and it's working nicely so far.
>> The only downside is that the Default theme used to have rounded
>> corners, now it's a plain gray rectangle.
>> (Archlinux, gtk 3.16)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> André Miranda
>>
>> On 10/13/2015 10:08 AM, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> This is to announce that our notification daemon has been ported to
>>> gdbus and gtk3. Note that there are two branches in
>>> git://git.xfce.org/users/ali/xfce4-notifyd
>>>
>>> gdbus-port: For the dbus work
>>> gtk3-port: For the gtk3 port on top of gdbus-port.
>>>
>>> The new port supports CSS theming, for that I have updated the
>>> themes shipped with their closes CSS equivalents.
>>>
>>> Note that there have been efforts to port xfce4-notifyd to gtk3:
>>> https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-August/031405.html
>>> https://github.com/Flow-It/xfce4-notifyd
>>>
>>> I did not continue from there, because simply the drawing of the
>>> notifications had to be re-written in order to get theme working.
>>>
>>> Happy testing,
>>> Ali

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Ali Abdallah-3
Thanks for reporting.

The issue has been solved. It is just a typo in the css file for the
Smoke theme.

Cheers,
Ali

On 10/19/2015 09:00 PM, André Miranda wrote:

> Hello Ali,
> Indeed the default theme is now friendly, but in the config dialog the
> Default is labeled Smoke and Smoke now is Default, is it a bug or am I
> messing anything here? (GTK2: Orion, GTK3: Adwaita).
> Another thing is the title centered, as Simon has already mentioned, I
> agree that now it's better.
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 10/16/2015 03:51 AM, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I invite you to check the latest commits. When the default theme is
>> used, the notification daemon now
>> selects correctly the style of the notification popups from the
>> current user theme. No longer ugly plain rectangles.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ali
>>
>> On 10/13/2015 05:01 PM, André Miranda wrote:
>>> Great job Ali, using here, the compilation was clean without
>>> warnings and it's working nicely so far.
>>> The only downside is that the Default theme used to have rounded
>>> corners, now it's a plain gray rectangle.
>>> (Archlinux, gtk 3.16)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> André Miranda

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

flo.xfce
Hey,
there are still some issues. Tested with Adwaita, HighContrast, Raleigh and Radiance, Gtk 3.18.
- Opacity does not work at all. It's always 100% opaque.
- Smoke theme: The rounded corners show the underlying rectangle in black. (Independet of the system theme). But those disappear after hovering. Nevertheless there is some 'dirt' left. Hard to describe...no smooth corners.
- Default theme: See Smoke, but only when the system theme is Raleigh.
- Settings manager: Notification settings don't get plugged in: (xfce4-notifyd-config:10526): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkVBox to a container of type GtkPlug, but the widget is already inside a container of type GtkBox, please remove the widget from its existing container first.
When I start the settings directly from command line it works fine, I get Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
But I guess this is normal behaviour when we want to plug it.

I hope you're not discouraged by all the issues I listed. You've done great work so far.

Kind regards

The issue has been solved. It is just a typo in the css file for the
Smoke theme.

Cheers,
Ali

On 10/19/2015 09:00 PM, André Miranda wrote:

> Hello Ali,
> Indeed the default theme is now friendly, but in the config dialog the
> Default is labeled Smoke and Smoke now is Default, is it a bug or am I
> messing anything here? (GTK2: Orion, GTK3: Adwaita).
> Another thing is the title centered, as Simon has already mentioned, I
> agree that now it's better.
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 10/16/2015 03:51 AM, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I invite you to check the latest commits. When the default theme is
>> used, the notification daemon now
>> selects correctly the style of the notification popups from the
>> current user theme. No longer ugly plain rectangles.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ali
>>
>> On 10/13/2015 05:01 PM, André Miranda wrote:
>>> Great job Ali, using here, the compilation was clean without
>>> warnings and it's working nicely so far.
>>> The only downside is that the Default theme used to have rounded
>>> corners, now it's a plain gray rectangle.
>>> (Archlinux, gtk 3.16)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> André Miranda

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss
Hi Flo,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,
there are still some issues. Tested with Adwaita, HighContrast, Raleigh and Radiance, Gtk 3.18.
- Opacity does not work at all. It's always 100% opaque.
- Smoke theme: The rounded corners show the underlying rectangle in black. (Independet of the system theme). But those disappear after hovering. Nevertheless there is some 'dirt' left. Hard to describe...no smooth corners.
- Default theme: See Smoke, but only when the system theme is Raleigh.

Sounds like you haven't enabled the compositor. Tbh I haven't tested the branch without compositor, but I would expect rounded corners to work either way (XShape extension), transparency obviously cannot really work.

- Settings manager: Notification settings don't get plugged in: (xfce4-notifyd-config:10526): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkVBox to a container of type GtkPlug, but the widget is already inside a container of type GtkBox, please remove the widget from its existing container first.
When I start the settings directly from command line it works fine, I get Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
But I guess this is normal behaviour when we want to plug it

I noticed some other issues, which are some lags (maybe my local install or has someone else noticed that?) and a strange inconsistency with theming: my css code works with the preview window, i.e. the button there is styled correctly, but not with the actual popups, where the buttons are left unstyled.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

flo.xfce
Enabling the compositor solves all the issues. Thanks for the hint.
What issues do you have with lags? I encounter some when I click 'Preview' at a very high frequency, but apart from that it runs fine.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Enabling the compositor solves all the issues. Thanks for the hint.
But: The Gtk2 version at least has not the issue with the black corners, independet of the compositor. (And with Gtk2 the default theme is more white, while with Gtk3 the default theme is more grey - is this intended?)

As I said, the Gtk2 version used the XShape extension to cut away the corners and make them rounded even without a compositor enabled. I haven't looked at whether the Gtk3 version does that too, but from your report it seems not to be the case.

What issues do you have with lags? I encounter some when I click 'Preview' at a very high frequency, but apart from that it runs fine.

I get those lags when pushing media buttons (volume) or brightness.

Cheers
 - S

Re: Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Ali Abdallah-3
Hi Simon,

On 10/28/2015 01:09 PM, Simon Steinbeiss wrote:
[...]

If I understand correctly you are writing css theme, which works with the preview window, but not with the actual popups? If this is correct, could you pm me the css code so I can test here.

Cheers
Simon
Cheers,
Ali

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 6:57 AM Ali Abdallah <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

If I understand correctly you are writing css theme, which works with the preview window, but not with the actual popups? If this is correct, could you pm me the css code so I can test here.

I had very little time to play with it, but here's the code I would expect to work:

https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/tree/notify-gtk3

Cheers

Simon