XFC maintainer ....

Bo Lorentsen
Hi ...

I have been handed the privilege of being maintainer of this XFC
project, and I am very happy about this as some of my efforts to improve
XFC will become useful for others. too.

My plan for XFC is this :

     * SourceView (done)
     * Debian packages (done)
     * GTK 2.10 printing support !
     * Xfce extensions
     * Simpler iterator model
     * Cleanup documentation
     * Stability, and bug fixes

These are based on my own needs, as I use XFC for some of my own
projects (some may even become official :-)).

I have developed C++ programs for many years (about 10 at least), and
have both been doing Gtkmm and even windows programming (also some work
with C++ frameworks back then). I work full time as programmer (in
Denmark), so this is still done in my spare time :-)

I am looking forward to making a better C++ framework for GTK+ and to
make an easy Xfce4 abstraction, to make future Xfce4 programming more
easy to do.

I start my carrier as maintainer with a weeks vercation, so please be
patient with me in the start :-)

/BL

Re: XFC maintainer ....

sofar
Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been handed the privilege of being maintainer of this XFC
> project, and I am very happy about this as some of my efforts to improve
> XFC will become useful for others. too.
>
> My plan for XFC is this :
>
>      * SourceView (done)
>      * Debian packages (done)
>      * GTK 2.10 printing support !
>      * Xfce extensions
>      * Simpler iterator model
>      * Cleanup documentation
>      * Stability, and bug fixes

could you order these by priority? also, there don't seem to be any xfc bugs
filed in bugzilla... perhaps a good start is to start filing these as a
worklist/checklist?

Cheers,

Auke

Re: XFC maintainer ....

Sriram Durbha
Bo,
congrats, and this is great news.  it is always good to have some one at the top as opposed to confusion about the future.  And when that some one is a person like you who has shown interest and followed it up with actions, it inspires the fringe members like me too :).

i have not used XFC for anything significant. but when i had visited it for the first time my objective was to develop a settings system for my distro VectorLinux.
but turned out that XFC had no wrapper for the mcs system.
Jeff had said that it would be a future enhancement. I hope it will find a place in your list at some point.  Also packages for other major distros would also be great. i will try to build them for slack 11.0 tgz and VectorLinux tgz and tlz [ no time commitment though]
i feel easily available packages for Xubuntu also would increase userbase.

thanks
cheers
ram

Kok, Auke wrote:

> could you order these by priority? also, there don't seem to be any xfc bugs
> filed in bugzilla... perhaps a good start is to start filing these as a
> worklist/checklist?
Ok, if this is the Xfce way then I will just do so ... just need to
think about it for at few days :-)

/BL

Re: XFC maintainer ....

Bo Lorentsen
Sriram Durbha wrote:

> congrats, and this is great news.  it is always good to have some one at
> the top as opposed to confusion about the future.  And when that some one is a
> person like you who has shown interest and followed it up with actions, it
> inspires the fringe members like me too :).
Thanks for the nice words ... Noting will make my job more easy/nice
than lot of active users :-) But until then, only hard work lay ahead :-)

> i have not used XFC for anything significant. but when i had visited it for
> the first time my objective was to develop a settings system for my distro
> VectorLinux.
Ok, I have never been using any slack based dist, as I am a long time
Debian user, both at home and at work.

> but turned out that XFC had no wrapper for the mcs system.
And there is some confusion about the MCS subject among Xfce developers
so I hope this will be settled soon. And when it is, I will be happy to
put it on my todo list (You are welcome to do so yourself, as far as I
know).

The debian packages I have made, works nicely on Ubuntu too (have been
testing it) ...

I will be happy to support any attempts to expand the userbase, but for
now I will try to focus on making XFC more mature, and use it to develop
a few applications too.

If people see that it is alive and the mailing list is responsive then
more developers dares to invest time in XFC, I think ...

/BL

Re: XFC maintainer ....

Xavier Otazu

Hi!

This is very good news!!! Somebody takes this great project to life!

cheers

Xavier

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:33:06 +0200
[hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:32:00 +0200
> From: Bo Lorentsen <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Xfc-dev] XFC maintainer ....
> To: Xfc C++ foundry for Xfce development <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi ...
>
> I have been handed the privilege of being maintainer of this XFC
> project, and I am very happy about this as some of my efforts to
> improve XFC will become useful for others. too.
>
> My plan for XFC is this :
>
>      * SourceView (done)
>      * Debian packages (done)
>      * GTK 2.10 printing support !
>      * Xfce extensions
>      * Simpler iterator model
>      * Cleanup documentation
>      * Stability, and bug fixes
>
> These are based on my own needs, as I use XFC for some of my own
> projects (some may even become official :-)).
>
> I have developed C++ programs for many years (about 10 at least), and
> have both been doing Gtkmm and even windows programming (also some
> work with C++ frameworks back then). I work full time as programmer
> (in Denmark), so this is still done in my spare time :-)
>
> I am looking forward to making a better C++ framework for GTK+ and to
> make an easy Xfce4 abstraction, to make future Xfce4 programming more
> easy to do.
>
> I start my carrier as maintainer with a weeks vercation, so please be
> patient with me in the start :-)
>
> /BL

Re: XFC maintainer ....

sofar
Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Kok, Auke wrote:
>
>> could you order these by priority? also, there don't seem to be any xfc bugs
>> filed in bugzilla... perhaps a good start is to start filing these as a
>> worklist/checklist?
 >
> Ok, if this is the Xfce way then I will just do so ... just need to
> think about it for at few days :-)

well, the xfce bugzilla does have an Xfc component, but you're free to ignore it
completely, allthough that would probably not be beneficial :)

As for the priorities, I think it's awesome that you have concrete plans. I hope
that if you setup priorities, you can get other people involved now instead of
"later". Sometimes a blog post is sufficient, but being concrete does help a
lot. So, it's a suggestion

Cheers,

Auke

Re: XFC maintainer ....

Bo Lorentsen
Kok, Auke wrote:

> well, the xfce bugzilla does have an Xfc component, but you're free to ignore it
> completely, allthough that would probably not be beneficial :)
I agree ... but I need to sort out my priorities, before doing so :-)

> As for the priorities, I think it's awesome that you have concrete plans. I hope
> that if you setup priorities, you can get other people involved now instead of
> "later". Sometimes a blog post is sufficient, but being concrete does help a
> lot. So, it's a suggestion
It is a good idea to be as visible as possible while developing, I agree
completely. I just have to get use to this new role and come up with a
precise plan :-)

/BL