[Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

[Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

Vladimír Chren
Hello All.

I don't know details about Thunar gtk3 porting status but it looks that
there is no big progress.

Would you be interested in patches solving one preparation step of
porting Thunar to gtk3 according to manual
 https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html#id-1
.6.3.3.5

Chapter "Use accessor functions instead of direct access"

Patches would look mostly like this
 -  GTK_BIN (standard_view)->child
 +  gtk_bin_get_child (GTK_BIN (standard_view))

and like this
 - renderer->is_expanded
 + g_object_get (renderer, "is-expanded", &is_expanded, NULL);

I'll separate each type of change to different patch.

This could be then applied against master (i think) because it's still
gtk2 (2.24.0) and nothing changes functionally. I'll reuse what was
already done and update it to current master.

Patches would be longer but simple to review.

I'm asking first if it's necessary or useful to do it.

Thank you

--
vlado

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

André Miranda
Hi Vladmir,
Every help in the porting effort is more than welcome!
Currently there is unmaintained work[1][2], you can setup a personal repository on GitHub and use them as a start point.
Many components and panel plugins have been ported, they are also good references.
However I suggest you talk with devs on #xfce-dev so they can give you better hints than me.

1 - https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap/thunar
2 - https://github.com/rgcjonas/thunar-gtk3

Cheers,
André Miranda

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Vladimír Chren <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm sending patches as attachments - separated as mentioned before for
easy reviewing, also including cumulative one.

This work (surely not entertaining) solves this one thing
 $ make CFLAGS+="-DGSEAL_ENABLE"

This is all current and can be a base for further gtk3 porting.

Greets

--
vlado

On Ut, 2017-03-07 at 22:53 -0300, André Miranda wrote:

> Hi Vladmir,
> Every help in the porting effort is more than welcome!
> Currently there is unmaintained work[1][2], you can setup a personal
> repository on GitHub and use them as a start point.
> Many components and panel plugins have been ported, they are also
> good references.
> However I suggest you talk with devs on #xfce-dev so they can give
> you better hints than me.
>
> 1 - https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap/thunar
> 2 - https://github.com/rgcjonas/thunar-gtk3
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Vladimír Chren <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > Hello All.
> >
> > I don't know details about Thunar gtk3 porting status but it looks
> > that
> > there is no big progress.
> >
> > Would you be interested in patches solving one preparation step of
> > porting Thunar to gtk3 according to manual
> >  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html#
> > id-1
> > .6.3.3.5
> >
> > Chapter "Use accessor functions instead of direct access"
> >
> > Patches would look mostly like this
> >  -  GTK_BIN (standard_view)->child
> >  +  gtk_bin_get_child (GTK_BIN (standard_view))
> >
> > and like this
> >  - renderer->is_expanded
> >  + g_object_get (renderer, "is-expanded", &is_expanded, NULL);
> >
> > I'll separate each type of change to different patch.
> >
> > This could be then applied against master (i think) because it's
> > still
> > gtk2 (2.24.0) and nothing changes functionally. I'll reuse what was
> > already done and update it to current master.
> >
> > Patches would be longer but simple to review.
> >
> > I'm asking first if it's necessary or useful to do it.
> >

> > Thank you
> >
> > --
> > vlado

attachment0 (124K) Download Attachment
0001-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_bin_get_child.patch (32K) Download Attachment
0002-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_dialog_get_content_area.patch (16K) Download Attachment
0003-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_dialog_get_action_area.patch (1K) Download Attachment
0004-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_container_get_border_width.patch (6K) Download Attachment
0005-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_get_style.patch (12K) Download Attachment
0006-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_get_parent.patch (3K) Download Attachment
0007-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_set_allocation.patch (2K) Download Attachment
0008-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_get_window.patch (8K) Download Attachment
0009-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_selection_data_get_.patch (12K) Download Attachment
0010-gtk3-porting-Use-gdk_drag_context_get_.patch (10K) Download Attachment
0011-gtk3-porting-Access-properties-of-GtkCellRenderer-co.patch (16K) Download Attachment
0012-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_get_requisition-and-gtk_.patch (12K) Download Attachment
0013-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_entry_get_.patch (5K) Download Attachment
0014-gtk3-porting-Use-gdk_drag_context_get_source_window.patch (3K) Download Attachment
0015-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_adjustment_get_.patch (4K) Download Attachment
0016-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_container_get_children.patch (2K) Download Attachment
0017-gtk3-porting-Use-gtk_widget_get_realized.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

André Miranda
Hi Vladimír,
Sorry for the delay.
I wasn't able to apply the patches against current master (4feb1d4), if possible, upload a GitHub fork with your commits.

Cheers,
André Miranda

On Po, 2017-03-20 at 21:54 -0300, André Miranda wrote:
> Hi Vladimír,
> Sorry for the delay.

No problem.

> I wasn't able to apply the patches against current master (4feb1d4),
> if possible, upload a GitHub fork with your commits.

You've probably tried to apply all the patches at once, but only
"cumulative" one is needed. I split this one patch for easy review
purposes to smaller ones. Reading it together would be too tiresome,
cause is too long and repetitive, but as separated and smaller changes,
it can take up to 10-15 minutes to review. I should have send them as
diffs instead. (you can apply cumulative OR all other patch files)

I made one addition to previous though, to make sure there are no
futher changes which can brake what is now prepared, I added CFLAGS="-
DGSEAL_ENABLE $CFLAGS" to configure.ac.in. This can be removed after
porting is finished.

I also uploaded it to github
https://github.com/vc-01/thunar

Best regards

Vladimir

gtk3-port-Use-accessor-functions.patch (125K) Download Attachment

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

André Miranda
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

Cheers,
André Miranda

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Vladimír Chren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

On Po, 2017-03-20 at 21:54 -0300, André Miranda wrote:
> Hi Vladimír,
> Sorry for the delay.

No problem.

> I wasn't able to apply the patches against current master (4feb1d4),
> if possible, upload a GitHub fork with your commits.

You've probably tried to apply all the patches at once, but only
"cumulative" one is needed. I split this one patch for easy review
purposes to smaller ones. Reading it together would be too tiresome,
cause is too long and repetitive, but as separated and smaller changes,
it can take up to 10-15 minutes to review. I should have send them as
diffs instead. (you can apply cumulative OR all other patch files)

I made one addition to previous though, to make sure there are no
futher changes which can brake what is now prepared, I added CFLAGS="-
DGSEAL_ENABLE $CFLAGS" to configure.ac.in. This can be removed after
porting is finished.

I also uploaded it to github
https://github.com/vc-01/thunar

Best regards

Vladimir

> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 03/10/2017 05:31 AM, Vladimír Chren wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm sending patches as attachments - separated as mentioned before
> > for
> > easy reviewing, also including cumulative one.
> >
> > This work (surely not entertaining) solves this one thing
> >  $ make CFLAGS+="-DGSEAL_ENABLE"
> >
> > This is all current and can be a base for further gtk3 porting.
> >

> > Greets
> >
> > --
> > vlado
> >

> > On Ut, 2017-03-07 at 22:53 -0300, André Miranda wrote:
> > > Hi Vladmir,
> > > Every help in the porting effort is more than welcome!
> > > Currently there is unmaintained work[1][2], you can setup a
> > > personal
> > > repository on GitHub and use them as a start point.
> > > Many components and panel plugins have been ported, they are also
> > > good references.
> > > However I suggest you talk with devs on #xfce-dev so they can
> > > give
> > > you better hints than me.
> > >
> > > 1 - https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap/thunar
> > > 2 - https://github.com/rgcjonas/thunar-gtk3
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > André Miranda
> > >
> > > On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Vladimír Chren <vlado.chren@inmai
> > > l.sk

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

André Miranda
Hello again,
I've just reviewed your patch, compiled Thunar and everything seems to be working as expected.
I'm just not sure about the use of g_object_get/g_object_set (shouldn't Thunar classes provide accessors?) and the introduced TODOs at thunar-standard-view.c:3037 and thunar-location-buttons.c:626. Besides that the modifications are pretty straightforward, thanks for your contribution.
Anyone (Harald, Simon, Andrzej...) could also review the patch and eventually merge?

Cheers,
André Miranda

wrote:
[...]

Hi André.

> I'm just not sure about the use of g_object_get/g_object_set
(shouldn't Thunar classes provide accessors?)

If this is the way, this can be done too.

> TODOs at thunar-standard-view.c:3037

I took those TODOs from a previous work of Nick Schermer (https://git.x
fce.org/users/nick/thunar/log/?h=gtk3)

But when I checked it up again more closely, first I discovered a new
feature that you can start dragging files also by using your secondary
mouse button (left / right depends on your settings). This was inactive
after applying my patch.

I made corrections, removed setting up suggested action at all because
it behaves the same way anyway -> default action is GDK_ACTION_ASK. And
removed 'context' variable was local anyway.

There is also (and was) a little bug there that you can't change the
action by pressing CTRL or CTRL+SHIFT to copy or link the file. But
this should be solved in another bugfix patch.

I'm attaching a diff to previous patch, full corrected patch is at
github.
https://github.com/vc-01/thunar

> TODO at thunar-location-buttons.c:626

I just removed it.

Cheers

Vladimir

gtk3-port-Use-accessor-functions.diff (2K) Download Attachment
Uwe

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

Uwe
Hi devs,

I'm quite confused, why the mouseover on the XFCE desktop differs from
the mouseover in thunar. On the desktop there is a nice preview, in
thunar not. Anybody knows a place where to discuss such things?

> [...]
> > > purposes to smaller ones. Reading it together would be too
> > > tiresome,
> > > cause is too long and repetitive, but as separated and smaller
> > > changes,
> > > it can take up to 10-15 minutes to review. I should have send them
> > > as
> > > diffs instead. (you can apply cumulative OR all other patch files)
> > >
> > > I made one addition to previous though, to make sure there are no
> > > futher changes which can brake what is now prepared, I added
> > > CFLAGS="-
> > > DGSEAL_ENABLE $CFLAGS" to configure.ac.in. This can be removed
> > > after
> > > porting is finished.
> > >
> > > I also uploaded it to github
> > > https://github.com/vc-01/thunar
> > >

> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Vladimir

Re: [Thunar] Gtk3 porting - preparation step

Hi Uwe,
Is it a problem with Thunar based on GTK 2 or 3 or both?

If you're experiencing a problem you suspect is related to configuration
or settings, people is more likely to reply you fast on xfce (users)
If you think it's indeed a bug, please take a look at bugzilla to check
if there's a bug report already filled (provide your input you think
it's worth). If you do not encounter a related bug report, please report
it with steps to reproduce/expected results/actual results. Then wait a
couple of days, if no one replies join #xfce-dev and ping devs.

If this problem is related only to the non-merged WIP GTK3 Thunar,
please contact me via e-mail, at #xfce-dev or open a GitHub issue.

Cheers,
André Miranda