SourceView in XFC and more

Bo Lorentsen
Hi ...

I have been playing with the XFC lib for a few weeks (for some private
projectes), and except for a few details I really like to make a larger
project in XFC to see if it really works as expected (stability,
performance and overhead), and to see what it is capable of doing.

So, I liked to make a project editor like the old Glimmer editor, both
to test out XFC and to make a nice reference project, and last but not
least to make a Xfce4 IDE (small and fast) :-)

But .... GtkSourceView is missing.

Ok, I looked over some of Jeff's old work (Inti), and found that he had
made an source view abstraction for Inti. So with a few changes and some
automake magic I think we could extent XFC with a libXFCsourceview. The
problem is that I don't have subversion access, and I could fork the
project, but I really don't want to, so ...

Is this at all possible, or are we still waiting for Jeff to show up ? I
think it would be nice to see this project become more alive (used and
maintained), and I am sure Jeff would be happy to see that his work has
not died while he was away. I am no expert i Gtk+ but, but if it helpes
and no one else want to maintain this project I will like to give it a
try, as I hate to see this project vanish.

I hope this also can bring some live and new hope to this project :-)

/BL

Re: SourceView in XFC and more

Erik Harrison
On 12/7/06, Bo Lorentsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been playing with the XFC lib for a few weeks (for some private
> projectes), and except for a few details I really like to make a larger
> project in XFC to see if it really works as expected (stability,
> performance and overhead), and to see what it is capable of doing.
>
> So, I liked to make a project editor like the old Glimmer editor, both
> to test out XFC and to make a nice reference project, and last but not
> least to make a Xfce4 IDE (small and fast) :-)
>
> But .... GtkSourceView is missing.
>
> Ok, I looked over some of Jeff's old work (Inti), and found that he had
> made an source view abstraction for Inti. So with a few changes and some
> automake magic I think we could extent XFC with a libXFCsourceview. The
> problem is that I don't have subversion access, and I could fork the
> project, but I really don't want to, so ...
>
> Is this at all possible, or are we still waiting for Jeff to show up ? I
> think it would be nice to see this project become more alive (used and
> maintained), and I am sure Jeff would be happy to see that his work has
> not died while he was away. I am no expert i Gtk+ but, but if it helpes
> and no one else want to maintain this project I will like to give it a
> try, as I hate to see this project vanish.

Considering the status of 4.4, with us inches from release, I vote we
create a branch for this development in SVN, give Bo SVN access so he
can go ahead and start working, then see where the pieces fall after
4.4.

Any seconds from a more senior dev?

> I hope this also can bring some live and new hope to this project :-)
>
> /BL

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room

Re: SourceView in XFC and more

sofar
Erik Harrison wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Bo Lorentsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi ...
>>
>> I have been playing with the XFC lib for a few weeks (for some private
>> projectes), and except for a few details I really like to make a larger
>> project in XFC to see if it really works as expected (stability,
>> performance and overhead), and to see what it is capable of doing.
>>
>> So, I liked to make a project editor like the old Glimmer editor, both
>> to test out XFC and to make a nice reference project, and last but not
>> least to make a Xfce4 IDE (small and fast) :-)
>>
>> But .... GtkSourceView is missing.
>>
>> Ok, I looked over some of Jeff's old work (Inti), and found that he had
>> made an source view abstraction for Inti. So with a few changes and some
>> automake magic I think we could extent XFC with a libXFCsourceview. The
>> problem is that I don't have subversion access, and I could fork the
>> project, but I really don't want to, so ...
>>
>> Is this at all possible, or are we still waiting for Jeff to show up ? I
>> think it would be nice to see this project become more alive (used and
>> maintained), and I am sure Jeff would be happy to see that his work has
>> not died while he was away. I am no expert i Gtk+ but, but if it helpes
>> and no one else want to maintain this project I will like to give it a
>> try, as I hate to see this project vanish.
>>

> Considering the status of 4.4, with us inches from release, I vote we
> create a branch for this development in SVN, give Bo SVN access so he
> can go ahead and start working, then see where the pieces fall after
> 4.4.
>
> Any seconds from a more senior dev?

I'd rather keep a *stable* 4.4 branch and have real development work done in /trunk/

Auke

On 12/7/06, Auke Kok <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> > Considering the status of 4.4, with us inches from release, I vote we
> > create a branch for this development in SVN, give Bo SVN access so he
> > can go ahead and start working, then see where the pieces fall after
> > 4.4.
> >
> > Any seconds from a more senior dev?
>
> I'd rather keep a *stable* 4.4 branch and have real development work done in /trunk/

I only recommended doing it this way to leave trunk for Jeff, should he return.

By all means, just setting aside 4.4 in a branch is just as
reasonable. But is the consensus to give Bo SVN access, and see if we
can get some continued work on this project?

Auke Kok wrote:

> I'd rather keep a *stable* 4.4 branch and have real development work done in /trunk/
This sound like a nice way to do it, and Jeff will be able to get at
better overview (between stable branch and trunk) when returning, and
even make a cleanup merge, by then :-)

Just my 2 cent ...

/BL

Re: SourceView in XFC and more

Brian J. Tarricone

Re: SourceView in XFC and more

Jasper Huijsmans
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Auke Kok wrote:
>
>> Erik Harrison wrote:
>>

>>> Considering the status of 4.4, with us inches from release, I vote we
>>> create a branch for this development in SVN, give Bo SVN access so he
>>> can go ahead and start working, then see where the pieces fall after
>>> 4.4.
>>>
>>> Any seconds from a more senior dev?
>>>
>> I'd rather keep a *stable* 4.4 branch and have real development work done in /trunk/
>>

> Agree with Auke - let's copy current trunk to a branch and let
> someone with some time and commitment play with trunk for a bit.

Did anyone try to contact Jeff directly? Maybe Bo can do that.

I think it is great that someone volunteers to pick up maintenance. Even
though I've never used it myself, XFC sounds like a framework that
deserves better than letting it fade away in our repositories.

cheers,
    Jasper

On 12/8/06, Jasper Huijsmans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> > Auke Kok wrote:

> >> I'd rather keep a *stable* 4.4 branch and have real development work done in /trunk/
> >>

> > Agree with Auke - let's copy current trunk to a branch and let
> > someone with some time and commitment play with trunk for a bit.
> >
> Did anyone try to contact Jeff directly? Maybe Bo can do that.
>
> I think it is great that someone volunteers to pick up maintenance. Even
> though I've never used it myself, XFC sounds like a framework that
> deserves better than letting it fade away in our repositories.

I've emailed Jeff directly several times over the last few months.
I've gotten no answer. Considering his rather passionate plea to have
XFC included in Xfce, I really wonder if something major happened in
his personal life.

Regardless, I don't think he'd mind it if he came back and found his
project has continued on, with other devs for him to work with.

Erik Harrison wrote:

> On 12/8/06, Jasper Huijsmans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>>> Agree with Auke - let's copy current trunk to a branch and let
>>> someone with some time and commitment play with trunk for a bit.
>>>

>> Did anyone try to contact Jeff directly? Maybe Bo can do that.
>>
>> I think it is great that someone volunteers to pick up maintenance. Even
>> though I've never used it myself, XFC sounds like a framework that
>> deserves better than letting it fade away in our repositories.
>>

> I've emailed Jeff directly several times over the last few months.
> I've gotten no answer. Considering his rather passionate plea to have
> XFC included in Xfce, I really wonder if something major happened in
> his personal life.
>
> Regardless, I don't think he'd mind it if he came back and found his
> project has continued on, with other devs for him to work with.

No, I agree. I was just making sure that we at least tried contacting him.

    Jasper

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Did anyone try to contact Jeff directly? Maybe Bo can do that.
I wrote to one of he's private email addresses about the 12. nov about
XFC, but he still did not answer.

I have been in contact with him for a few years ago, regarding this
library (Inti), and this mail address normally worked :-)

> I think it is great that someone volunteers to pick up maintenance. Even
> though I've never used it myself, XFC sounds like a framework that
> deserves better than letting it fade away in our repositories.
I agree, and it follow the philosophy of Xfce very closely :-)

Erik Harrison wrote:

> I've emailed Jeff directly several times over the last few months.
> I've gotten no answer. Considering his rather passionate plea to have
> XFC included in Xfce, I really wonder if something major happened in
> his personal life.
Hmm, lets hope he is on a very long bush walk ...

What is the story about the "passionated plea" for Xfc to be part of Xfce ?

> Regardless, I don't think he'd mind it if he came back and found his
> project has continued on, with other devs for him to work with.
Me to ... the Inti, Gcode and now Xfc library have had a strange live,
and I think it would make him happy to see others taking some interest
in this lib.

/BL

Re: SourceView in XFC and more

Sylvain Vedrenne
Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Erik Harrison wrote:

>>> Did anyone try to contact Jeff directly? Maybe Bo can do that.
>>>
>>> I think it is great that someone volunteers to pick up maintenance. Even
>>> though I've never used it myself, XFC sounds like a framework that
>>> deserves better than letting it fade away in our repositories.
>>>
>> I've emailed Jeff directly several times over the last few months.
>> I've gotten no answer. Considering his rather passionate plea to have
>> XFC included in Xfce, I really wonder if something major happened in
>> his personal life.
>>
>> Regardless, I don't think he'd mind it if he came back and found his
>> project has continued on, with other devs for him to work with.
>>

> No, I agree. I was just making sure that we at least tried contacting him.
>
>     Jasper

I tried to contact Jeff by email around 6 months ago, asking if he
intended to continue contributing to Xfc. No answer, unfortunately.

I very much hope Xfc will continue!

Best regards,
Sylvain.