Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

c. marlow
Hi,

I was just reading on the system requirements of Xubuntu and it shows
you should have a 2 ghz processor but running sudo lshw shows this:

*-cpu
           product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz
           vendor: Intel Corp.
           physical id: 400
           bus info: cpu@0
           slot: CPU
           size: 1800MHz
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 800MHz
           capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts
rep_good nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
           configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2

I have 2 processors same thing Pentium E 2160 in this 2007 Optiplex.
with 4 gigs of ram. I mean on my other partition Windows 10 runs okay.

Is this enough to run Xubuntu or should I be running Lubuntu?

--
Thanks, and take care :).
   Sincerely,

EMAIL: [hidden email]

Re: Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 7 May 2017 01:57:03 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
>Is this enough to run Xubuntu or should I be running Lubuntu?

Ok, https://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/requirements/ isn't really verbose.
I stopped using Xfce a while ago, but in my experiences your setup
should be able to run Xfce without issues, even if you should run
software that requires real-time performance.

Re: Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Chris Green-2
On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 01:57:03AM -0500, c. marlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just reading on the system requirements of Xubuntu and it shows you
> should have a 2 ghz processor but running sudo lshw shows this:
>
> *-cpu
>           product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz
>           vendor: Intel Corp.
>           physical id: 400
>           bus info: cpu@0
>           slot: CPU
>           size: 1800MHz
>           width: 64 bits
>           clock: 800MHz
>           capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
> mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
> sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
> nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
> pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
>           configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2

My laptop says:-

     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 1
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
          serial: None
          slot: CPU Socket - U3E1
          size: 1377MHz
          capacity: 3300MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon
pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni
pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm
pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c
rdrand lahf_lm epb tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep
erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=4

It runs xubuntu perfectly well, in fact I think it's 'fast'.

--
Chris Green

On 05/07/2017 03:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 7 May 2017 01:57:03 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
>> Is this enough to run Xubuntu or should I be running Lubuntu?
>
> Ok, https://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/requirements/ isn't really verbose.
> I stopped using Xfce a while ago, but in my experiences your setup
> should be able to run Xfce without issues, even if you should run
> software that requires real-time performance.

If I am Correct, I remember you from the debian xfce list? :D So what DE
are you running now?

--
Thanks, and take care :).
   Sincerely,
  Christopher M.

EMAIL: [hidden email]

Re: Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

c. marlow

> It runs xubuntu perfectly well, in fact I think it's 'fast'.

Thanks for your input :)

On Sun, 7 May 2017 11:38:07 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
>If I am Correct, I remember you from the debian xfce list? :D So what
>DE are you running now?

Hi,

yesno, from debian-user, a long time ago. That time I had an AMD based
machine with similar specifications as your Intel [1]. It was an Athlon
dual-core 2.1 GHz, just sse2 and 4 GiB of DDR2 RAM. It was fast enough
to run Xfce4 when doing real-time audio productions. FWIW the mobo
provided USB 2 and SATA 2. Btw. the default desktop environment of
Ubuntu Studio still is Xfce4, it's aimed to work with old machines.

My new machine is an Intel Celeron dual-core 2.8 GHz, with sse4 (just
important to run some proprietary Linux audio software) [2] and 8 GiB of
DDR3 RAM, the mobo provides USB 3 and SATA 3.

You should be able to run Xfce4 without any problems. Alternatively
Mate should run without hiccups, too.

I tested Ubuntu-Mate, they do a good job. If I still would use a desktop
environment, I perhaps would use Mate instead of Xfce4, but I can't say
for sure.

If you should like LXDE, then you better set up the environment
yourself, since I also tested Lubuntu. They do a disgusting bad job.

I migrated to openbox, so I don't use a desktop environment at all.
My preferred distro is Arch Linux, but I also set up Ubuntu with
openbox. I customized my Ubuntu similar to Arch Linux, the Ubuntu
basic install was even without X.

[1]
I don't know if it was rev._G1 or rev._G2, however, you Intel seem to
perform a little bit better.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/959/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G1)_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/960/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G2)_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html

[2]
My new CPU compared to yours and my old processor.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/157/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/939/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G1)_vs_Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/940/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G2)_vs_Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840.html

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Zaphod
My laptop has the following CPU specs:

     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GH
          serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
          slot: CPU 1
          size: 1466MHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 533MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon
pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq
dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2
popcnt aes lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida arat
cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=1 threads=2
        *-cache:0

Which is hardly more than the specs "required" by Xfce. I have also used
Xfce on hardware lower than your's before and didn't have any problems.
I'd say that the best advice would be to use a live USB/CD and give it a
whirl on the exact hardware for about a day and see if you can put up
with any increased loading times or anything.

Xfce doesn't actively use 2GHz of CPU power at all times. That would be
ridiculous. That's something I would expect out of KDE perhaps, but
certainly not something that does the job and gets out of the way like Xfce.

On 05/06/2017 11:57 PM, c. marlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just reading on the system requirements of Xubuntu and it shows
> you should have a 2 ghz processor but running sudo lshw shows this:
>
> *-cpu
>           product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz
>           vendor: Intel Corp.
>           physical id: 400
>           bus info: cpu@0
>           slot: CPU
>           size: 1800MHz
>           width: 64 bits
>           clock: 800MHz
>           capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
> pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts
> rep_good nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2
> ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
>           configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=2
>

> I have 2 processors same thing Pentium E 2160 in this 2007 Optiplex.
> with 4 gigs of ram. I mean on my other partition Windows 10 runs okay.
>
> Is this enough to run Xubuntu or should I be running Lubuntu?

--
we meme together, we dream together

0x638FEC71.asc (16K) Download Attachment

Re: Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Jeroen van Aart
On 05/12/2017 01:25 PM, Erik Dobák wrote:
> 4gb ram is enough for xfce.
>
> On 7 May 2017 at 08:57, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just reading on the system requirements of Xubuntu and it shows you
>> should have a 2 ghz processor but running sudo lshw shows this:

I run xfce on an always on via pico itx system with a 1.2 gHz 1 core
CPU, 2 GB of ram. It runs perfectly fine. Sure if you want to run a
browser with many tabs open you may soon start to use swap, but that's
the browser's fault and general web bloat.

System also runs an email server, source repository and various other
things. It plays video fine as well, due to hardware decoding.

http://www.viatech.com/en/support/eol/artigo-a1100-eol/

Something like this would be a useful upgrade:

http://www.viatech.com/en/systems/small-form-factor-pcs/artigo-a1250/

Take minimum specs with a grain of salt.

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.6
Date: 2017-05-12  16:49:01.510 UTC
Date Local: 2017-05-12 09:49:01 PDT
Location: 13km W of Ashkasham, Afghanistan
Latitude: 36.6859; Longitude: 71.3833
Depth: 178.77 km | e-quake.org