Re: [Thunar-dev] Introduction

Alex
Hi Francesco,

these days not much happens on the "thunar-dev" mailing-list. (ca. 1 mail per month) Most things are discussed on "xfce4-dev".

I am new to the xfce4 community myself, however regarding Thunar the first thing to achieve probably is to get the gtk3 port finished. The whole xfce4 stack currently moves from gtk2 to gtk3. Thunar is probably one of the bigger junks to be moved.
There is already some ongoing development on it, but it seems like the port still is experimental:
http://xfce.10915.n7.nabble.com/Experiments-in-porting-exo-to-Gtk3-td46692.html#a46700

I dont know the current state .. best directly talk to the dev's which work on thunar and exo, and ask them where you can help.
If you dont have experience with gtk, it probably makes sense to first move some smaller xfce4 projects to gtk3 to get used to it! ( There used to be some list of projects to be moved, but I dont know where it can be found )

CC to xfce4 dev ... please correct me if I am wrong!

Cheers,
Alex

On 07.02.2017 14:08, Francesco Pasa wrote:
Hi all,

I am a student and long time user of XFCE (since about 2007). I'd like to become a member of the Thunar development team, if possible. I never contributed to a open source project, so some orientation would be helpful. To make it concrete:
  • It there a procedure to become a member of the team?
  • Is Thunar actively maintained and developed?
  • In case, how should I start?

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

Re: [Thunar-dev] Introduction

Simon Steinbeiss
Hi Francesco,

I can only agree with what Alex wrote (the maintenance situation, porting to Gtk3, starting with smaller components). The roadmap, which is sorta up to date, can be found here: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

That said, it is also a question of motivation and of reading the code that is there already, as we don't really have the manpower to tutor people. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is at the moment.
Anyway, welcome and I hope you'll find the time and motivation to contribute!

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask either on the mailing list or directly in irc (#xfce-dev on freenode).

Cheers
Simon