Re: $SHARE/xfwm4/defaults

Svein Halvor Halvorsen

* Jasper Huijsmans [2005-07-07 11:25 +0200]

:
>  Using the resource lookup functions in libxfce4util, this should not be hard
>  to implement. I have actually no idea how many components are already doing
>  this right. It's probably best to direct follow-up discussion to xfce4-dev.

* Biju Chacko [2005-07-07 14:59 +0530]
>  I'd suggest that you file bug reports on this. *Not* working in the way
>  you describe is definitely broken.

Unfortunately, I don't know alot about the xfce developement process, how
to correctly submit a bug report, what format this report should have,
etc. If patches are expected to come with the report, I would have even a
greater problem filing such a report.

I also have little time to spend in actually providing any code. I am
sorry to take this stand, as I know xfce is all about the voluntary work
of others, and I'd hate to come along demaning features, and not having
the opportunity to actually contribute myself.

As we'd like to have our new desktop environment set up for the next
semester starting in august, I think we will just do the skel-thing,
copying in a default setup for new users. Especially since we'd like to
alter the default focus behaviour as well.

However, I'd really like to see a system similar to what Jasper suggests.
I as a sysadmin could just setup my own config, and then just copy my user
config to the system config dir, and everything would work out nice.

Best regards,
Svein Halvor

Re: $SHARE/xfwm4/defaults

Erik Harrison
On 7/7/05, Svein Halvor Halvorsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Jasper Huijsmans [2005-07-07 11:25 +0200]
> >  There should be a layered system consisting of:
> >
> >  1) Kiosk settings (if applicable)
> >  2) System confifuration
> >  3) User configuration
> :
> >  Using the resource lookup functions in libxfce4util, this should not be hard
> >  to implement. I have actually no idea how many components are already doing
> >  this right. It's probably best to direct follow-up discussion to xfce4-dev.
>

> * Biju Chacko [2005-07-07 14:59 +0530]
> >  I'd suggest that you file bug reports on this. *Not* working in the way
> >  you describe is definitely broken.
>

> Unfortunately, I don't know alot about the xfce developement process, how
> to correctly submit a bug report, what format this report should have,
> etc. If patches are expected to come with the report, I would have even a
> greater problem filing such a report.

Patches are great. Patches are not required.

bugs.xfce.org has the Xfce bugzilla. Pretty straightforward.

> I also have little time to spend in actually providing any code. I am
> sorry to take this stand, as I know xfce is all about the voluntary work
> of others, and I'd hate to come along demaning features, and not having
> the opportunity to actually contribute myself.
>
> As we'd like to have our new desktop environment set up for the next
> semester starting in august, I think we will just do the skel-thing,
> copying in a default setup for new users. Especially since we'd like to
> alter the default focus behaviour as well.
>

> However, I'd really like to see a system similar to what Jasper suggests.
> I as a sysadmin could just setup my own config, and then just copy my user
> config to the system config dir, and everything would work out nice.
>

> Best regards,
> Svein Halvor

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik