Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

Florian Weigelt
Please find attached my initial work on porting xfdesktop to Gtk3. I
cannot test with a multi monitor setup here, so this would be something
anybody interested in helping could look into.
xfdesktop's Gtk3 version only runs when compiled with --disable-thunarx,
because thunarx pulls in Gtk2 symbols.
Also, I only worked with -Wno-deprecated-declarations, fixing those
warnings is work for later.

Kind regards

port-to-gtk3.patch (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

André Miranda
Hi Florian,
Thanks and nice work!
I've been using xfdesktop with your patch for a couple of days and noticed only a few glitches.
I use a notebook + monitor, after login Xfce disables the notebook's screen.
So here is what I could find:
- Desktop icons are not displayed, but if I enable both screens, the icons are on notebook's screen, disabling the second screen the icons are moved to my monitor.
- Desktop Settings dialog's content are not resizing vertically
- After dragging a file the selection rectangle appears
- "Show hidden files on desktop" make all the icons disappear (they reappear if icon size is changed)
- Icon context menus are not dismissed on first click out
- Icons are not correctly themed (Numix here)

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 12/14/2016 01:37 PM, Florian Weigelt wrote:
Please find attached my initial work on porting xfdesktop to Gtk3. I
cannot test with a multi monitor setup here, so this would be something
anybody interested in helping could look into.
xfdesktop's Gtk3 version only runs when compiled with --disable-thunarx,
because thunarx pulls in Gtk2 symbols.
Also, I only worked with -Wno-deprecated-declarations, fixing those
warnings is work for later.

Kind regards

Re: Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

Florian Weigelt
Thanks for your feedback.
So it looks that mostly the icons are problematic. On a single monitor,
like in my setup, they don't show up at all so this is the first bug I
will be working on. Unfortunately, this is not a bug I introduced with
my changed but deeper in the code. Does anyone know about changes in
Gtk's realize/unrealize logic between Gtk2 and Gtk3?
I will use the free days now to debug the Gtk2 version of xfdesktop to
find out where the differences are.
And in regards to the monitor turning off: Sorry, I cannot debug this here.
Kind regards

On 12/21/16 00:49, André Miranda wrote:

> Hi Florian,
> Thanks and nice work!
> I've been using xfdesktop with your patch for a couple of days and
> noticed only a few glitches.
> I use a notebook + monitor, after login Xfce disables the notebook's screen.
> So here is what I could find:
> - Desktop icons are not displayed, but if I enable both screens, the
> icons are on notebook's screen, disabling the second screen the icons
> are moved to my monitor.
> - Desktop Settings dialog's content are not resizing vertically
> - After dragging a file the selection rectangle appears
> - "Show hidden files on desktop" make all the icons disappear (they
> reappear if icon size is changed)
> - Icon context menus are not dismissed on first click out
> - Icons are not correctly themed (Numix here)
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 12/14/2016 01:37 PM, Florian Weigelt wrote:
>> Please find attached my initial work on porting xfdesktop to Gtk3. I
>> cannot test with a multi monitor setup here, so this would be something
>> anybody interested in helping could look into.
>> xfdesktop's Gtk3 version only runs when compiled with --disable-thunarx,
>> because thunarx pulls in Gtk2 symbols.
>> Also, I only worked with -Wno-deprecated-declarations, fixing those
>> warnings is work for later.
>>
>> Kind regards

Re: Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

Florian Weigelt
I managed to track down the issue with the desktop icons. I attach my
current work as a new patch for some more testing.
As already mentioned, I cannot test behaviour on multiple monitors.
Hopefully those issues were related to the icons and are gone now as
well, but that's up to you to find out.

On 12/21/16 00:49, André Miranda wrote:
> - Desktop Settings dialog's content are not resizing vertically
Could you please describe what you mean exactly? The settings dialog
looks fine to me.
> - After dragging a file the selection rectangle appears
Unfortunately, this issue still persists.
> - "Show hidden files on desktop" make all the icons disappear (they
> reappear if icon size is changed)
Fixed!
> - Icon context menus are not dismissed on first click out
Fixed! But after the popup is hidden we get the selection rectangle,
too, as in the issue above.
> - Icons are not correctly themed (Numix here)
Adwaita and elementary icons work fine.

xfdesktop-gtk3.patch (40K) Download Attachment

Re: Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

André Miranda
Hi Florian,
Sorry for the long delay... Unfortunately I couldn't apply the patch against master, can you provide a repository on GitHub or elsewhere?
About the Dialog Settings, as far as I recall, if resized its contents retain the same size, just the window grows and white/gray fills the new space.
Looking forward a repository to test your fixes.

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 01/21/2017 07:39 PM, Florian Weigelt wrote:
[...]

You can checkout my gtk3 branch from
https://github.com/Flow-It/xfdesktop.git
It only has the fixes mentioned with the last patch I sent. I've been
working a bit on some other issues but they probably need bigger changes
(xfconf backend for example).

On 01/31/17 02:43, André Miranda wrote:

> Hi Florian,
> Sorry for the long delay... Unfortunately I couldn't apply the patch
> against master, can you provide a repository on GitHub or elsewhere?
> About the Dialog Settings, as far as I recall, if resized its contents
> retain the same size, just the window grows and white/gray fills the new
> space.
> Looking forward a repository to test your fixes.
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 01/21/2017 07:39 PM, Florian Weigelt wrote:
>> I managed to track down the issue with the desktop icons. I attach my
>> current work as a new patch for some more testing.
>> As already mentioned, I cannot test behaviour on multiple monitors.
>> Hopefully those issues were related to the icons and are gone now as
>> well, but that's up to you to find out.
>>
>> On 12/21/16 00:49, André Miranda wrote:
>>> - Desktop Settings dialog's content are not resizing vertically
>> Could you please describe what you mean exactly? The settings dialog
>> looks fine to me.
>>> - After dragging a file the selection rectangle appears
>> Unfortunately, this issue still persists.
>>> - "Show hidden files on desktop" make all the icons disappear (they
>>> reappear if icon size is changed)
>> Fixed!
>>> - Icon context menus are not dismissed on first click out
>> Fixed! But after the popup is hidden we get the selection rectangle,
>> too, as in the issue above.
>>> - Icons are not correctly themed (Numix here)
>> Adwaita and elementary icons work fine.

Re: Porting xfdesktop to Gtk3

André Miranda
Hi again Florian,
Your work is getting much more polished, just a few rough edges I could find (some I mentioned before, I hope to be more clear now):
- Sometimes when a window is focused, the Trash tooltip doesn't appear
- Help confirmation message is too wide (see attachment)
- Desktop dialog content doesn't fill the window vertically (see attachment)
- Icon's label not themed correctly (see attachment, changing theme doesn't make any difference, the labels always have that ugly gray background and the selected icon is not colored).
- And the annoying selection rectangle =)

Thanks your work!

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 02/03/2017 10:06 PM, Florian Weigelt wrote:
[...]

dialog.png (242K) Download Attachment
gtk2_icons.png (22K) Download Attachment
gtk3_icons.png (20K) Download Attachment
help_message.png (26K) Download Attachment