PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR

Dani
Hello:

I going to learn with xfce4-timer-plugin

My SO is Xubuntu 16.04

The question is the value for PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR.
Where is default value set?

When this plugin is installed, the locale files are putted in
/usr/share/locale but the PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR value is set to
/usr/local/share/locale

The result is that the translation not work

If I set on the beginning
#define PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR  "/usr/share/locale"
the translation work fine

if I comment the line
xfce_textdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR, "UTF-8");
also work fine for me.

I will have something bad on my SO for that defaul installed plugin not
work fine?

Is necessary the line:
xfce_textdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR, "UTF-8");

Very thanks.

--
Dani

Re: PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR

Matthew Brush
On 2017-04-17 08:23 AM, Dani wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I going to learn with xfce4-timer-plugin
>
> My SO is Xubuntu 16.04
>
> The question is the value for PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR.
> Where is default value set?
>
> When this plugin is installed, the locale files are putted in
> /usr/share/locale but the PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR value is set to
> /usr/local/share/locale

Hi,

I'm not familiar with this plugin's build system, but I believe that
define would come from Autoconf and be written into the `config.h`
header that it generates, based on the options given to the `configure`
script at configuration time. For example, it should respect the
`--prefix` option (defaults to `/usr/local`), and if it doesn't, I
believe that would be a bug.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR

Dani
Hello:

I executed
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

now
PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR value is /usr/share/locale

Very thanks!!

Dani

On 17/04/17 23:31, Matthew Brush wrote:

> On 2017-04-17 08:23 AM, Dani wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I going to learn with xfce4-timer-plugin
>>
>> My SO is Xubuntu 16.04
>>
>> The question is the value for PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR.
>> Where is default value set?
>>
>> When this plugin is installed, the locale files are putted in
>> /usr/share/locale but the PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR value is set to
>> /usr/local/share/locale
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm not familiar with this plugin's build system, but I believe that
> define would come from Autoconf and be written into the `config.h`
> header that it generates, based on the options given to the
> `configure` script at configuration time. For example, it should
> respect the `--prefix` option (defaults to `/usr/local`), and if it
> doesn't, I believe that would be a bug.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew Brush

Re: PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR

Matthew Brush
On 2017-04-17 09:54 PM, Dani wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I executed
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
>
> now
> PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR value is /usr/share/locale
>
> Very thanks!!

No problem.

I think on at least some distros it's frowned upon to put manually
installed software directly in `/usr` because package manager uses it
and it might cause problems. If it doesn't work with the default
(`--prefix=/usr/local`), it probably means there's a bug in the build
system, but I might be wrong.

Regards,
Matthew Brush