Orage questions

David Rosenstrauch
I'm trying to switch over to Orage from the date/time panel plugin,
since I have a need for a world clock applet.  I'm running into some
issues customizing it to my liking though.

Does anyone know:

* Is it possible to configure Orage to display 2 lines on the panel -
one for time and one for date?  The preferences dialog only lets you
configure one line.

* In the globaltime utility, all times are shown in 24-hour time.  Is
there any way to customize the time display format?

Thanks,

DR

Re: Orage questions

Charlie Kravetz

Re: Orage questions

David Rosenstrauch
On 01/17/2012 09:13 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I use the orage clock in my panel. By right-clicking the clock and
> left-clicking properties, one can add three lines if desired. The codes
> are given in properties, and you add a line by completing the existing
> line, then clicking the arrow at the end of the line.

Perfect!  Thanks much!

> I have day of week and date on the top, time zone and time on the
> bottom lines. I also use the world clock, unfortunately, you can not
> add lines to it the same way.

I'm not looking to add lines to the world clock, but rather to change it
from 24-hour time format to 12-hour (i.e. from "18:56" to "6:56 pm").
Any hidden config option there?

Thanks,

DR

Re: Orage questions

Charlie Kravetz

Re: Orage questions

Juha Kautto
18.01.2012 05:11, Charlie Kravetz kirjoitti:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:57:22 -0500
> David Rosenstrauch<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 01/17/2012 09:13 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>>> I use the orage clock in my panel. By right-clicking the clock and
>>> left-clicking properties, one can add three lines if desired. The codes
>>> are given in properties, and you add a line by completing the existing
>>> line, then clicking the arrow at the end of the line.
>> Perfect!  Thanks much!
>>
>>> I have day of week and date on the top, time zone and time on the
>>> bottom lines. I also use the world clock, unfortunately, you can not
>>> add lines to it the same way.
>> I'm not looking to add lines to the world clock, but rather to change it
>> from 24-hour time format to 12-hour (i.e. from "18:56" to "6:56 pm").
>> Any hidden config option there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> DR
> Sorry, I don't know how to do that with the world clock. I seem to have
> mine set up for 24 hour time, maybe that was the only option.

Yes, 24 hours is the only option.
(There should be a law against 12 hour clocks...very difficult to
understand those...:-) )

Juha

Re: Orage questions

FixitmanAZ
24 Hour time is too confusing. There is no such thing as 13 o'clock, and people get confused and drop the first digit then think it's 3 pm instead of 1 pm. Should ban the 24 hour time until we can get that problem fixed (10 hour clock would fix it, I suppose.) Someone tells me it's 15:00 hours for instance I automatically think they mean 5 p.m. because it's easier to subtract 10 than 12.
Hopefully we can change this at some point, getting away from the base 12 designations on hours and months, it would be much easier to have digital time (10 hour days, 10 day months, 10 month years) or whatever, like they're doing with the metric system in some places, I hear.
Of course, I don't use that either, give me pounds, miles, feet, etc. I'm used to it.

Re: Orage questions

FixitmanAZ
3 years later I have a new instsall (xubuntu 16.04) and same problem with events in Orage Globaltime ... they show as some stupid digital time, such as 25:70 o'clock and not say, 3 :15 PM. It's very confusing and I can't seem to find the option to change it to normal am/pm, ANYWHERE online or in manuals. I have never learned that stardate digital  type time, which apparently the metric using countries have converted to. In Orage clock on panel it is normal!
 How stupid.