Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Björn Baumbach
Hi!

I'm new to this list. I use xfce4 since a few months and I'm really
happy with it. But there is one thing which I would like to adapt.

On enlightenment, which I've used before for years, it was possible to
grab a window with [Alt]+[left Mouse] and then switch to a different
workspace. Then the grabbed window is also moved to the new workspace
and is still grabbed.
On xfce4 I switch to a different workspace by [ALT]+[one of the arrow
Keys]. If I now grab a window and try to move it to a new workspace (by
switching the workspace), I just move the window a short distance on the
same workspace in the expected direction.
Additionally, when I presss [Alt]+[left Mouse], it takes up to a second
before the mouse pointer switches to the "move"-symbol. I've to await
this time until I can move the window.

In the Windows Manager Keyword settings I've specified the following:

Move window: empty
Move window to *: empty
Upper workspace: Alt+Up
Bottom workspace: Alt+Down
Left ...

Unfortunately I do currently not see an option to achieve the old
familiar behaviour.
I know, there are other options to move windows to other workspaces, but
I would like to use the mentioned way.

Best regards,
Björn

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Mon, 27 May 2019 16:20:21 +0200
Björn Baumbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On enlightenment, which I've used before for years, it was possible to
> grab a window with [Alt]+[left Mouse] and then switch to a different
> workspace. Then the grabbed window is also moved to the new workspace
> and is still grabbed.

Install the Workspace Switcher in your panel, and you'll be able to move windows easily from one workspace by right-clicking on it, and dragging it to the destination

Cheers,

Ron.
--
   Have you ever noticed that the people who are always trying to tell you,
  There's a time for work and a time for play, never find the time for play?

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Mon, 27 May 2019 11:17:55 -0400
"Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Install the Workspace Switcher in your panel, and you'll be able to move windows easily from one workspace by right-clicking on it, and dragging it to the destination

Sorry, brain fart, left-clicking

Cheers,

Ron.
--
         An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine,
                     but because people refuse to see it.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Björn Baumbach
Hi Ron,

thanks a lot for your reply.

On 5/27/19 6:11 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>> Install the Workspace Switcher in your panel, and you'll be able to move windows easily from one workspace by right-clicking on it, and dragging it to the destination
> Sorry, brain fart, left-clicking

Well, yes, this works. But then I would have to move the mouse pointer
the long distance to the panel ;-)

I'll try to make use of the "Move window to XY" key combinations then.
Maybe my fingers can learn to use this instead of the accustomed moves.

Nevertheless, many thanks :-)

Björn

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Lars Behrens
Am Dienstag, den 28.05.2019, 12:55 +0200 schrieb Björn Baumbach:

> Well, yes, this works. But then I would have to move the mouse
> pointer
> the long distance to the panel ;-)
>
> I'll try to make use of the "Move window to XY" key combinations
> then.
> Maybe my fingers can learn to use this instead of the accustomed
> moves.

There are also combinations for 'move window to next/previous
workspace' in window management->keyboard settings which I use a lot. I
find it the most intuitive manner of moving windows because I never can
remember which window should land on which workspace number.

Maybe that helps.

Cheerz,
Lars

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

jEsuSdA 8)-2
El 27/5/19 a las 16:20, Björn Baumbach escribió:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new to this list. I use xfce4 since a few months and I'm really
> happy with it. But there is one thing which I would like to adapt.
>
> On enlightenment, which I've used before for years, it was possible to
> grab a window with [Alt]+[left Mouse] and then switch to a different
> workspace. Then the grabbed window is also moved to the new workspace
> and is still grabbed.
> On xfce4 I switch to a different workspace by [ALT]+[one of the arrow
> Keys]. If I now grab a window and try to move it to a new workspace (by
> switching the workspace), I just move the window a short distance on the
> same workspace in the expected direction.
> Additionally, when I presss [Alt]+[left Mouse], it takes up to a second
> before the mouse pointer switches to the "move"-symbol. I've to await
> this time until I can move the window.
>
> In the Windows Manager Keyword settings I've specified the following:
>
> Move window: empty
> Move window to *: empty
> Upper workspace: Alt+Up
> Bottom workspace: Alt+Down
> Left ...
>
> Unfortunately I do currently not see an option to achieve the old
> familiar behaviour.
> I know, there are other options to move windows to other workspaces, but
> I would like to use the mentioned way.
>
> Best regards,
> Björn

I use this combination:

Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow left
Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow right

To move to previous or next workspace

You can set them into Window Manager settings.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers!

https://i.imgur.com/xY9VBOr.png

On 6/4/19 1:32 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

> El 27/5/19 a las 16:20, Björn Baumbach escribió:
>> On enlightenment, which I've used before for years, it was possible to
>> grab a window with [Alt]+[left Mouse] and then switch to a different
>> workspace. Then the grabbed window is also moved to the new workspace
>> and is still grabbed.
>> On xfce4 I switch to a different workspace by [ALT]+[one of the arrow
>> Keys]. If I now grab a window and try to move it to a new workspace (by
>> switching the workspace), I just move the window a short distance on the
>> same workspace in the expected direction.
>> Additionally, when I presss [Alt]+[left Mouse], it takes up to a second
>> before the mouse pointer switches to the "move"-symbol. I've to await
>> this time until I can move the window.
>>
>> In the Windows Manager Keyword settings I've specified the following:
>>
>> Move window: empty
>> Move window to *: empty
>> Upper workspace: Alt+Up
>> Bottom workspace: Alt+Down
>> Left ...
>>
>> Unfortunately I do currently not see an option to achieve the old
>> familiar behaviour.
>> I know, there are other options to move windows to other workspaces, but
>> I would like to use the mentioned way.
>
> I use this combination:
>
> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow left
> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow right
>
> To move to previous or next workspace
>
> You can set them into Window Manager settings.
>
> I hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for your answer! I does not know what "Mays" mean,
but I just tried the the "Move window to upper|left|... workspace" (with
e.g. Ctrl+Up") and this does nearly exactly what I want! It moves the
focused window, switches the workspace at the same time and the window
still does have the focus - great!

Thanks a lot!
Björn

phone: 0551-370000-0, mailto:[hidden email]
Gesch.F.: Dr. Johannes Loxen und Reinhild Jung
AG Göttingen: HR-B 2816 - http://www.sernet.de

Samba eXPerience 2019, Hotel Freizeit In

El 4/6/19 a las 20:48, Björn Baumbach escribió:

>>> Move window: empty
>>> Move window to *: empty
>>> Upper workspace: Alt+Up
>>> Bottom workspace: Alt+Down
>>> Left ...
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I do currently not see an option to achieve the old
>>> familiar behaviour.
>>> I know, there are other options to move windows to other workspaces, but
>>> I would like to use the mentioned way.
>> I use this combination:
>>
>> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow left
>> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow right
>>
>> To move to previous or next workspace
>>
>> You can set them into Window Manager settings.
>>
>> I hope this helps you.
> Thank you very much for your answer! I does not know what "Mays" mean,
> but I just tried the the "Move window to upper|left|... workspace" (with
> e.g. Ctrl+Up") and this does nearly exactly what I want! It moves the
> focused window, switches the workspace at the same time and the window
> still does have the focus - great!
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Björn

Mays (Spanish) = Shift (English) :D

I'm so glad I helped you!

Cheers!!!

Re: Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Kai-Martin Knaak-3
On  4. June 2019 "jEsuSdA 8)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I use this combination:
> >>
> >> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow left
> >> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow right
> >>
> >> To move to previous or next workspace
> >>
> >> You can set them into Window Manager settings.
> >>

> Mays (Spanish) = Shift (English) :D
>
> I'm so glad I helped you!
Thank you from me, too!
Being able to move the window with a quick short key press is very
handy. I like your choice of keys. This will be my standard :-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
[hidden email] Universität Hannover, Inst. f.

El 5/6/19 a las 2:36, Kai-Martin Knaak escribió:
> Thank you from me, too!
> Being able to move the window with a quick short key press is very
> handy. I like your choice of keys. This will be my standard:-)

Thank you.

This combination of keys is very useful to me cause I also use Ctr+Alt+
Arrow key to switch to left or right workspace and pressing Shift I do
the same but "dragging" the focused window. Very convenient for me. :D

Thanks a lot to all of you! ;)