Linking to Xfce libs - how is it done?

Olof Holmgren
Hi!

I'm trying to develop a panel app for Xfce (4.4rc1) but I'm new to both Xfce and autotools and
find it hard to get going. What I would like to know is how to link to the Xfce4 libraries?

I've downloaded the cpugraph plugin v0.3 as suggested over here:
http://jameswestby.net/weblog/2006/May

If I do ./configure on the cpugraph plugin I can make and install it with no problems,
but if I do aclocal, autoconf and automake myself and then run ./configure the
configure keeps failing with the following error message:

configure.ac:27: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_INTLTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.

I have tried to look in the autoconf documentation, but I'm not sure what I'm really looking for
so I got no answers there. And it feels as if something is wrong for this even to happen.
Since I don't know what I'm doing or what intltool does, I simple removed the line AC_PROG_INTLTOOL
from the configure.ac. After doing this, I got a little further but the ./configure still fails, with the following error:

./configure: line 4777: syntax error near unexpected token `LIBXFCE4PANEL,'
./configure: line 4777: `XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE(LIBXFCE4PANEL, libxfce4panel-1.0, 4.3.20)'

The line in the configure.ac that seems to be causing the problem is the following:
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([LIBXFCE4PANEL], [libxfce4panel-1.0], [4.3.20])

All I want to do is to get the build system up so that I know that I can compile my own stuff,
but I can not get it working. I've spent a long time googling on it, but without luck. Im stuck.

If someone could point me in the right direction here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Olof Holmgren

Re: Linking to Xfce libs - how is it done?

Jean-François Wauthy
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 16:14 +0200, Olof Holmgren wrote:
> Hi!

hi
> I'm trying to develop a panel app for Xfce (4.4rc1) but I'm new to
> both Xfce and autotools and
> find it hard to get going. What I would like to know is how to link to
> the Xfce4 libraries?

i haven't taken the time read your mail so i don't know if i can answer
you questions so far but this ML has been moved to [hidden email].
It's more likely you'll get an answer there.

--
Jean-François Wauthy <[hidden email]>