Language selection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
Hi folks,

What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?

My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
greeter with a nice little language selector.

Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.

With no language selector in the greeter, Gnome desktop users are now
apparently expected to set this by using the gnome-control-center or the
the DBus interface. Xfce, however, does not seem to have this option.

A method that I do not want to use is to set wheezy's default locale to
English or Dutch. I want to leave that choice up to the users who share
these workstations, and as sysadmin I prefer to use 'none' for the
default locale anyway.

My current strategy for wheezy is simply to keep the old version of gdm
working as long as I can, but I wish I had a better solution.

Thanks,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

sergiocmailbox-xfce
On 12/07/2012 04:30 AM, Jaap Winius wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?
>
> My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
> English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
> greeter with a nice little language selector.
>
> Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
> dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
> Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
> also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
> language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
> selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
> wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.
>
> With no language selector in the greeter, Gnome desktop users are now
> apparently expected to set this by using the gnome-control-center or the
> the DBus interface. Xfce, however, does not seem to have this option.
>
> A method that I do not want to use is to set wheezy's default locale to
> English or Dutch. I want to leave that choice up to the users who share
> these workstations, and as sysadmin I prefer to use 'none' for the
> default locale anyway.
>
> My current strategy for wheezy is simply to keep the old version of gdm
> working as long as I can, but I wish I had a better solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jaap
> _______________________________________________

I'm not in Xfce right now but it does have a language selector, IIRC.
You just uncheck 'Use system default' and choose the language.

IIRC, LXDM also has a language selector.

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
Quoting Sergio <[hidden email]>:

>> What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?

> I'm not in Xfce right now but it does have a language selector, IIRC.
> You just uncheck 'Use system default' and choose the language.

It sounds like you're referring to the option to make changes to the  
keyboard layout, but that's not what I'm looking for.

> IIRC, LXDM also has a language selector.

Unfortunately, lxdm still hasn't made it into Debian.

Thanks anyway,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

sergiocmailbox-xfce

>
> Unfortunately, lxdm still hasn't made it into Debian.
>

It should. It's very light and works well.

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Peggy Kutyla
In reply to this post by Jaap Winius-2
Hi,

You could try Slim who have no language selector but who is lightweight
and try to set language with pam.
Look at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#SLiM_and_Environment_Variables
I think you could adapt this to Debian.
Well, that's not as easy as a mouse clic...

http://slim.berlios.de/

Le 07/12/2012 07:30, Jaap Winius a écrit :

> Hi folks,
>
> What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?
>
> My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
> English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
> greeter with a nice little language selector.
>
> Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
> dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
> Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
> also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
> language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
> selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
> wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.
>
> With no language selector in the greeter, Gnome desktop users are now
> apparently expected to set this by using the gnome-control-center or the
> the DBus interface. Xfce, however, does not seem to have this option.
>
> A method that I do not want to use is to set wheezy's default locale to
> English or Dutch. I want to leave that choice up to the users who share
> these workstations, and as sysadmin I prefer to use 'none' for the
> default locale anyway.
>
> My current strategy for wheezy is simply to keep the old version of gdm
> working as long as I can, but I wish I had a better solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jaap
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
Quoting Peggy Kutyla <[hidden email]>:

> You could try Slim who have no language selector but who is lightweight
> and try to set language with pam. Look at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#SLiM_and_Environment_Variables

And then write a script that users can launch from the desktop to add  
a line like 'LANG="nl_NL.UTF-8"' ... or not, in which case the desktop  
environment language will remain English. Of course, any changes will  
require the user to log out and back in again, which is not as  
efficient, so for now I'll continue to use gdm, write that script if  
I'm forced to, and either way look forward to implementing an  
up-to-date greeter with a working language selector some time in the  
future.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

sergiocmailbox-xfce
On 12/11/2012 11:03 PM, Jaap Winius wrote:

> Quoting Peggy Kutyla <[hidden email]>:
>
>> You could try Slim who have no language selector but who is lightweight
>> and try to set language with pam. Look at
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#SLiM_and_Environment_Variables
>
> And then write a script that users can launch from the desktop to add a
> line like 'LANG="nl_NL.UTF-8"' ... or not, in which case the desktop
> environment language will remain English. Of course, any changes will
> require the user to log out and back in again, which is not as
> efficient, so for now I'll continue to use gdm, write that script if I'm
> forced to, and either way look forward to implementing an up-to-date
> greeter with a working language selector some time in the future.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jaap

Back when LXDM was just starting, some guy at sidux packaged it.
Maybe look at their repos (aptosid) if they have the latest version.
LXDM is just as light as SLiM and the language selector works fine.
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

comet.friend (Bugzilla)
In reply to this post by Peggy Kutyla
I am looking for a solution for this, too. Currently I am using a ~/.profile
with just one line:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

(for German language setting with UTF-8 support).

But this is not a viable end-user solution, as it requires to edit a file and
to know the exact syntax. A GUI option in the settings dialog would be much
more comfortable.

The perfect approach, IMHO, is how it's done in KDE. As an end-users I can
easily configure my desktop according to my locale, and will get German
application UIs and correct currency and date formats. But at the same time,
when I switch user to root, I still get US English messages, when a command
returns an error. This is good, because it is much easier to find help on the
web for US English messages than for, e. g., German messages.

You may consider this a feature request. :)

Best regards

gargamel

Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2012, 09:02:28 schrieb Peggy Kutyla:

> Hi,
>
> You could try Slim who have no language selector but who is lightweight
> and try to set language with pam.
> Look at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#SLiM_and_Environment_Variables
> I think you could adapt this to Debian.
> Well, that's not as easy as a mouse clic...
>
> http://slim.berlios.de/
>
> Le 07/12/2012 07:30, Jaap Winius a écrit :
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?
> >
> > My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
> > English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
> > greeter with a nice little language selector.
> >
> > Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
> > dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
> > Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
> > also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
> > language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
> > selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
> > wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.
> >
> > With no language selector in the greeter, Gnome desktop users are now
> > apparently expected to set this by using the gnome-control-center or the
> > the DBus interface. Xfce, however, does not seem to have this option.
> >
> > A method that I do not want to use is to set wheezy's default locale to
> > English or Dutch. I want to leave that choice up to the users who share
> > these workstations, and as sysadmin I prefer to use 'none' for the
> > default locale anyway.
> >
> > My current strategy for wheezy is simply to keep the old version of gdm
> > working as long as I can, but I wish I had a better solution.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jaap
> > _______________________________________________
> > Xfce mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> > http://www.xfce.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
In reply to this post by sergiocmailbox-xfce
Quoting Sergio <[hidden email]>:

> Back when LXDM was just starting, some guy at sidux packaged it.
> Maybe look at their repos (aptosid) if they have the latest version.
> LXDM is just as light as SLiM and the language selector works fine.

Yes, I've heard that as well, but the problem here is that, despite  
numerous efforts, lxdm has yet to make it into Debian.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
In reply to this post by sergiocmailbox-xfce
Quoting Sergio <[hidden email]>:

> Back when LXDM was just starting, some guy at sidux packaged it.
> Maybe look at their repos (aptosid) if they have the latest version.
> ...

A search for lxdm at aptosid.com results in a slew of links to  
development pages that I don't have access to, plus one link to a  
report about a bug that has apparently been fixed:

   http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2247

There is a link near the end of this page to a repository where it is  
suggested the package was once available, but that link no longer works.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
In reply to this post by comet.friend (Bugzilla)
Quoting Alex Baer <[hidden email]>:

> ... Currently I am using a ~/.profile with just one line:
>
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

I've experimented with that, but for some reason my results have not  
been as consistent as with a ~/.dmrc file containing:

[Desktop]
Session=default
Language=nl_NL.UTF-8

If I want English again, I can delete just that last line, or the  
whole file. Actually, I believe there are plans to end support for  
~/.dmrc in favor of some file in ~/.config/ or whatever -- details,  
anyone? -- but perhaps I'll get lucky and never have to deal with that.

> But this is not a viable end-user solution, as it requires to
> edit a file and to know the exact syntax. A GUI option in the
> settings dialog would be much more comfortable.

Completely agree. If they make it impossible for me to keep running  
gdm in wheezy as I still do, then I'll probably write a little bash  
shell script, using zenity for GUI dialog boxes, to allow the users to  
change the language back and forth when they wish.

> The perfect approach, IMHO, is how it's done in KDE. As an end-users I can
> easily configure my desktop according to my locale, and will get German
> application UIs and correct currency and date formats. But at the same time,
> when I switch user to root, I still get US English messages, when a command
> returns an error. This is good, because it is much easier to find help on the
> web for US English messages than for, e. g., German messages.

For error messages, Dutch is even less useful. I'm afraid that I will  
always be severely opposed to using anything else other than English  
for the root environment. Unfortunately, it would seem that most of  
the greeter developers are unaware that any sysadmins would want to  
work this way.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Peggy Kutyla
In reply to this post by comet.friend (Bugzilla)
Hi,

Le 12/12/2012 21:02, Alex Baer a écrit :

> I am looking for a solution for this, too. Currently I am using a ~/.profile
> with just one line:
>
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
>
> (for German language setting with UTF-8 support).
>
> But this is not a viable end-user solution, as it requires to edit a file and
> to know the exact syntax. A GUI option in the settings dialog would be much
> more comfortable.

You may use Zenity as GUI for a bash script. It can provide a list of
available languages, modify the appropriate config file (.dmrc or
whatever) and display a dialog saying " you should log out to apply the
change"
--
  ,,,
 (  °>  [hidden email]
 ( / )  Linux Registered User 328488
 >||<
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Lorenzo Sutton
In reply to this post by Jaap Winius-2
On 07/12/12 07:30, Jaap Winius wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?
>
> My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
> English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
> greeter with a nice little language selector.
This is still in the domain of hackland but you could do as follows with
slim:

Make a copy of startxfce4 (usually in /usr/bin) and call it e.g.
startxfce4-nl or maybe a more friendly name,
At the top of this new file (after the comments) add the entries for nl
locale (which of course has to be installed):

//LANG=nl_NL.utf8
LANGUAGE=nl_NL:it
LC_CTYPE="nl_NL.UTF-8"
...
...
...


etcetera (see output of locale command...)

Then add this newly created file to the sessions entry in the slim.conf
(usually /etc/slim.conf) file.

At this point when at the slim logion you press F1 it should cycle the
entries in sessions including your newly created startxfce4-nl (or
whatever you called it), and starting that the locale settings should be
for NL_nl.

Disclaimer: I didn't test this thoroughly but it did work some time ago
when I wanted to log in with Italian locale to test some stuff (I use
english by default) but YMMV.

Good luck,
Lorenzo.

>
> Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
> dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
> Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
> also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
> language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
> selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
> wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.
>
> With no language selector in the greeter, Gnome desktop users are now
> apparently expected to set this by using the gnome-control-center or the
> the DBus interface. Xfce, however, does not seem to have this option.
>
> A method that I do not want to use is to set wheezy's default locale to
> English or Dutch. I want to leave that choice up to the users who share
> these workstations, and as sysadmin I prefer to use 'none' for the
> default locale anyway.
>
> My current strategy for wheezy is simply to keep the old version of gdm
> working as long as I can, but I wish I had a better solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jaap
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection -- acceptable solution

Jaap Winius-2
Quoting Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]>:

> ...
> At this point when at the slim logion you press F1 it should cycle  
> the entries in sessions including your newly created startxfce4-nl  
> (or whatever you called it), and starting that the locale settings  
> should be for NL_nl.

Thank you very much, Lorenzo!

Following your instructions, the only thing I changed initially was to  
add some export statements in /usr/bin/startxfce4-nl like this:

export LANG="nl_NL.utf8"
export LANGUAGE="nl_NL.utf8"
export LC_CTYPE="nl_NL.UTF-8"

After that it worked as you described, although this solution does  
have one serious disadvantage: since the default language is still  
English (which I do not intend to change) users who want Dutch are  
forced to change their session language every time they log in. This  
is unlike gdm, where it's only necessary to select a language once if  
you make it your default.

However, your idea looked so promising that I decided not to abandon  
it, but make some improvements to it instead. First, I added the  
following code to the beginning of /usr/bin/startxfce4 itself (not to  
a copy with a different name):

== BEGIN ============================================

WD=`/bin/pwd`
FILE="$WD/.dmrc"

if [ $0 == "/usr/bin/Nederlands" ]
then
         export LANG="nl_NL.utf8"
         export LANGUAGE="nl_NL.utf8"
         export LC_CTYPE="nl_NL.UTF-8"

         /bin/echo "[Desktop]"                   >  $FILE
         /bin/echo "Session=default"             >> $FILE
         /bin/echo "Language=nl_NL.UTF-8"        >> $FILE

elif [ $0 == "/usr/bin/English" ]
then
         export LANG="en_GB.utf8"
         export LANGUAGE="en_GB.utf8"
         export LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"

         /bin/echo "[Desktop]"                   >  $FILE
         /bin/echo "Session=default"             >> $FILE
         /bin/echo "Language=en_GB.UTF-8"        >> $FILE
else
         if [ -f $FILE ]
         then
                 LNG=`/bin/grep Language $FILE`

                 if [[ $LNG =~ "en_GB" ]]
                 then
                         export LANG="en_GB.utf8"
                         export LANGUAGE="en_GB.utf8"
                         export LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"

                 elif [[ $LNG =~ "nl_NL" ]]
                 then
                         export LANG="nl_NL.utf8"
                         export LANGUAGE="nl_NL.utf8"
                         export LC_CTYPE="nl_NL.UTF-8"
                 fi
         else
                 export LANG="nl_NL.utf8"
                 export LANGUAGE="nl_NL.utf8"
                 export LC_CTYPE="nl_NL.UTF-8"

                 /bin/echo "[Desktop]"                   >  $FILE
                 /bin/echo "Session=default"             >> $FILE
                 /bin/echo "Language=nl_NL.UTF-8"        >> $FILE
         fi
fi

== END ==============================================

More improvements are possible, but this basically does the trick.  
Next, I created two aliases:

   ~# ln -s /usr/bin/startxfce4 /usr/bin/English
   ~# ln -s /usr/bin/startxfce4 /usr/bin/Nederlands

Last, I modified the sessions statement in /etc/slim.conf so that it  
now reads:

   sessions            English,Nederlands

The code in startxfce4 effectively sets the default Xfce session to  
Dutch if there is no ~/.dmrc file that contains a reference to one of  
the two supported languages. Toggling F1 allows users to select either  
English or Dutch again (Nederlands), after which a ~/.dmrc file is  
created and set to that language.

Note that the language setting is saved in the ~/.dmrc file every time  
F1 is used to select a language. If ~/.dmrc did not exist previously,  
it is always created and set with either the selected language or  
default language. This has nothing to do with the default language for  
the OS, which is still set to 'none' (or 'C'), i.e. English.

Compared to gmd on Debian squeeze, the only disadvantage of this  
solution (besides the fact that it's a hack) is that when English is  
selected and an attempt is made to log in, but a wrong password is  
given, the selected language (session) reverts to the default when the  
greeter is reset for the next login attempt. This is not an issue with  
gdm, which unlike slim stays with the selected language, but it seems  
a small price to pay for the advantage of no longer having to bother  
with a package that is not part of wheezy.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Guido Berhoerster-6
In reply to this post by Jaap Winius-2
* Jaap Winius <[hidden email]> [2012-12-07 08:05]:

> What's the best solution for Xfce desktop language selection?
>
> My site uses Debian squeeze workstations that need support for both
> English and Dutch. Currently we use gdm, which has few dependencies and a
> greeter with a nice little language selector.
>
> Soon, however, we'll be upgrading to Debian wheezy, in which gdm has been
> dropped in favor of gdm3 (which has far too many Gnome dependencies).
> Unfortunately, the latter has no language selector. Nor does kdm (which
> also has too many dependencies), xdm, or wdm. Lightdm does have a
> language selector when lightdm-gtk-greeter is also installed, but this
> selector doesn't work due to a bug that's present in both the Debian
> wheezy (and sid) and experimental versions of these packages.

The LightDM language selector can be fixed by rebuilding LightDM
with the two patches attached to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1074946 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1019314.
--
Guido Berhoerster
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
Quoting Guido Berhoerster <[hidden email]>:

> The LightDM language selector can be fixed by rebuilding LightDM
> with the two patches attached to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1074946 and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1019314.

Can these patches be applied to any of the available Debian packages?  
Applying the do-not-strip patch to lightdm v1.2.2-4 (wheezy)  
succeeded, but there were two failures when I subsequently tried to  
apply the fix-language-setting patch:

patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 58.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file  
./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c.rej
patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 704.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 727.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file  
./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c.rej

Applying the same patches to lightdm v1.4.0 (from Debian experimental)  
resulted in the same two failures.

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Guido Berhoerster-6
* Jaap Winius <[hidden email]> [2012-12-20 05:07]:

> Quoting Guido Berhoerster <[hidden email]>:
>
> >The LightDM language selector can be fixed by rebuilding LightDM
> >with the two patches attached to
> >https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1074946 and
> >https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1019314.
>
> Can these patches be applied to any of the available Debian
> packages? Applying the do-not-strip patch to lightdm v1.2.2-4
> (wheezy) succeeded, but there were two failures when I subsequently
> tried to apply the fix-language-setting patch:
>
> patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
> patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 58.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c.rej
> patching file ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 704.
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 727.
> 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> ./lightdm-1.2.2/src/accounts.c.rej
>
> Applying the same patches to lightdm v1.4.0 (from Debian
> experimental) resulted in the same two failures.

The patches are for LightDM 1.4.0 only and won't work with older
versions. They apply to a pristine lightdm-1.4.0 tarball here, if
there are some modifications on your end colliding with them
you'll have to apply them by hand (which shouldn't be too
difficult since the changes are not that big).
--
Guido Berhoerster
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Jaap Winius-2
Quoting Guido Berhoerster <[hidden email]>:

> The patches are for LightDM 1.4.0 only and won't work with older
> versions. They apply to a pristine lightdm-1.4.0 tarball here, if
> there are some modifications on your end colliding with them
> you'll have to apply them by hand (which shouldn't be too
> difficult since the changes are not that big).

Thanks very much! I've applied the patches to the source code for the  
current Debian experimental package, compiled it and it's now working  
quite nicely. Excellent!

Cheers,

Jaap
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

John Culleton-3
In reply to this post by Jaap Winius-2
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:41:44 +0100
Jaap Winius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Sergio
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Back when LXDM was just starting, some guy at
> > sidux packaged it. Maybe look at their repos
> > (aptosid) if they have the latest version.
> > LXDM is just as light as SLiM and the
> > language selector works fine.
>
> Yes, I've heard that as well, but the problem
> here is that, despite numerous efforts, lxdm
> has yet to make it into Debian.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jaap
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org

You can always download the source code for XFCE,
unpack it, compile it and install it on your
system. You may need to add some programs first
such as
(as I recall)
opt-get install build-essentials

No one needs to be a total slave to debian
repositories.

I use Slackware but have toyed with Ubuntu etc on
occasion. And I use Knoppix on my laptop.


--
John Culleton
Wexford Press
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
PDF e-book: "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
available at
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Language selection

Wes Gregg
Someone told me that Debian also has a couple additional branches (I think one might be called Testing) for people who use that distro but do not want to be limited to the old versions of files that are in their "Stable" repos. You might check in see if the files that you are looking for are in one of them.


On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:16 AM, john Culleton <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:41:44 +0100
Jaap Winius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Sergio
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Back when LXDM was just starting, some guy at
> > sidux packaged it. Maybe look at their repos
> > (aptosid) if they have the latest version.
> > LXDM is just as light as SLiM and the
> > language selector works fine.
>
> Yes, I've heard that as well, but the problem
> here is that, despite numerous efforts, lxdm
> has yet to make it into Debian.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jaap
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org

You can always download the source code for XFCE,
unpack it, compile it and install it on your
system. You may need to add some programs first
such as
(as I recall)
opt-get install build-essentials

No one needs to be a total slave to debian
repositories.

I use Slackware but have toyed with Ubuntu etc on
occasion. And I use Knoppix on my laptop.


--
John Culleton
Wexford Press
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
PDF e-book: "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
available at
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org



_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org