Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Stephan Haller
Hi @all,

Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.

So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
for applications by just typing the application's display name,
description or command.

I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125

To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
have to be installed:

libwnck >= 2.10
clutter >= 1.12
glib >= 2.30.3
gio >= 2.30.3
gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
xfconf >= 4.10.0
dbus-glib >= 0.98

To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".

Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
rendering the application unusable.

You're welcome for any kind of feedback.

The project's page itself is located at:
https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard

Regards,
Stephan

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

jEsuSdA 8)-2
El 27/11/13 13:18, Stephan Haller escribió:

> Hi @all,
>

> Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
> switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
> now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
> that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
> Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.
>
> So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
> project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
> one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
> application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
> in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
> workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
> or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
> for applications by just typing the application's display name,
> description or command.
>
> I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
> preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125
>
> To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
> have to be installed:
>
> libwnck >= 2.10
> clutter >= 1.12
> glib >= 2.30.3
> gio >= 2.30.3
> gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
> xfconf >= 4.10.0
> dbus-glib >= 0.98
>
> To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
> Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".
>
> Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
> workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
> nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
> rendering the application unusable.
>
> You're welcome for any kind of feedback.
>
> The project's page itself is located at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

Hi Stephan!

Can you show some screenshots o screencast, please?

Thank you! ;)

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Milo

> Hi Stephan!
>
> Can you show some screenshots o screencast, please?
>
> Thank you! ;)
>
> Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

+1

This sounds really really promising and interesting.

Cheers

Marco Milone

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Silvio Knizek-2
Am 27.11.2013 13:18, schrieb Stephan Haller:

> Hi @all,
>

> Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
> switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
> now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
> that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
> Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.
>
> So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
> project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
> one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
> application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
> in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
> workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
> or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
> for applications by just typing the application's display name,
> description or command.
>
> I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
> preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125
>
> To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
> have to be installed:
>
> libwnck >= 2.10
> clutter >= 1.12
> glib >= 2.30.3
> gio >= 2.30.3
> gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
> xfconf >= 4.10.0
> dbus-glib >= 0.98
>
> To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
> Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".
>
> Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
> workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
> nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
> rendering the application unusable.
>
> You're welcome for any kind of feedback.
>
> The project's page itself is located at:
> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard
>
> Regards,
> Stephan
Hi Stephan,

Can you please point out more why you do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm
happy with every dev working for and with Xfce, but what makes your
project superior to the gnome-shell or some clever combination of the
whisker-menu and some custom panels?
And do you really need clutter? Xfce is not the lightweight and fast
desktop environment because it uses fancy graphics everywhere. You can't
even expect hardware acceleration in some environments.
I'm looking forward to your screen cast, maybe it can light my thoughts.

Regards

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Stephan Haller

Sorry, I cannot provide a screencast. I never have done this before ;)

But what I can do is to write down a quick'n'dirty guide with
screenshots :)

Just go to http://gmc-holle.github.io/xfdashboard/

Greetings,
Stephan

Am Mittwoch, den 27.11.2013, 14:05 +0100 schrieb jEsuSdA 8):

> El 27/11/13 13:18, Stephan Haller escribió:
> > Hi @all,
> >

> > Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
> > switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
> > now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
> > that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
> > Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.
> >
> > So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
> > project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
> > one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
> > application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
> > in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
> > workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
> > or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
> > for applications by just typing the application's display name,
> > description or command.
> >
> > I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
> > preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
> > https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125
> >
> > To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
> > have to be installed:
> >
> > libwnck >= 2.10
> > clutter >= 1.12
> > glib >= 2.30.3
> > gio >= 2.30.3
> > gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
> > xfconf >= 4.10.0
> > dbus-glib >= 0.98
> >
> > To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
> > Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".
> >
> > Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
> > workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
> > nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
> > rendering the application unusable.
> >
> > You're welcome for any kind of feedback.
> >
> > The project's page itself is located at:
> > https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard
> >
> > Regards,
> > Stephan
> >

> Hi Stephan!
>
> Can you show some screenshots o screencast, please?
>
> Thank you! ;)
>
> Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Stephan Haller

www.froevel.de
Systemadministrator

EMail: [hidden email]
Telefon: 02202 / 45 97 95
Mobil: 0176 / 63 86 30 21
Jabber (bevorzugt): [hidden email]
ICQ: 33955897

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Stephan Haller

> Can you please point out more why you do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm
> happy with every dev working for and with Xfce, but what makes your
> project superior to the gnome-shell or some clever combination of the
> whisker-menu and some custom panels?
I think it's just like many projects starts. There are "needs" or sth.
you like but is missing and then you code it. It has nothing to do that
I don't like how xfce looks like or what it does and does not. I also
like the whisker-menu but I really miss the way how to switch between
applications, to organize shortcuts without filling the panel until it
explodes ;) - and it did nearly in Gnome 2.x days. To make a long story
short: It might be just personal taste.

> And do you really need clutter? Xfce is not the lightweight and fast
> desktop environment because it uses fancy graphics everywhere. You can't
> even expect hardware acceleration in some environments.
> I'm looking forward to your screen cast, maybe it can light my thoughts.
I have to agree. I know using clutter doesn't make it lightweight
anymore. But I haven't understand how to use XDamage and so on and
clutter made it very easy for me to get "live windows" working. I call
them "live windows" as they reflect any change just at that time they
happen. I could watch a video in xfdashboard if I really would like.

As I mentioned in a mail before I could not provide a screencast. I have
never done this before and I'm not a video expert except for watching
videos ;) I hope this little documentation with screenshots at the
following URL will show you how to looks like:

--
Stephan Haller

www.froevel.de
Systemadministrator

EMail: [hidden email]
Telefon: 02202 / 45 97 95
Mobil: 0176 / 63 86 30 21
Jabber (bevorzugt): [hidden email]
ICQ: 33955897

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Willie Matthews
On 11/27/2013 01:04 PM, Stephan Haller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I cannot provide a screencast. I never have done this before ;)
>
> But what I can do is to write down a quick'n'dirty guide with
> screenshots :)
>
> Just go to http://gmc-holle.github.io/xfdashboard/
>
> Greetings,
> Stephan
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 27.11.2013, 14:05 +0100 schrieb jEsuSdA 8):
>> El 27/11/13 13:18, Stephan Haller escribió:
>>> Hi @all,
>>>

>>> Nearly since one and a half years I'm a so called "gnome3 refugee" and
>>> switched over to xfce completely ;) Before I always looked at xfce every
>>> now and then to see the improvements. But one thing I'm missing and
>>> that's the way how window switching and application launching is done in
>>> Gnome Shell of Gnome 3.
>>>
>>> So I decided to try if I can rewrite it and make it fit into xfce. The
>>> project is called "xfdashboard". It's not the best name but it was first
>>> one coming into my mind ;)  Now I reached the point where the
>>> application is still neither complete nor finished nor nice-looking but
>>> in an usable state. You can switch between the windows of current
>>> workspace, start application from the quicklaunch bar at the left, add
>>> or remove new applications to quicklaunch bar by drag'n'drop and search
>>> for applications by just typing the application's display name,
>>> description or command.
>>>
>>> I was encouraged to show it to a wider public audience so I created a
>>> preview tarball which can be downloaded at:
>>> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131125
>>>
>>> To build xfdashboard the following libraries and headers (-dev packages)
>>> have to be installed:
>>>
>>> libwnck >= 2.10
>>> clutter >= 1.12
>>> glib >= 2.30.3
>>> gio >= 2.30.3
>>> gio-unix-2.0 >= 2.30.3
>>> xfconf >= 4.10.0
>>> dbus-glib >= 0.98
>>>
>>> To use xfdashboard I advice to define an application shortcut in
>>> Settings -> Keyboard like <Super>+<Tab> which calls "xfdashboard".
>>>
>>> Although it is working and usable for me and might crash on your
>>> workstation. One issue I know about is one machine using OSS driver
>>> nouveau (for nvidia graphics adapter) has broken textures sometimes
>>> rendering the application unusable.
>>>
>>> You're welcome for any kind of feedback.
>>>
>>> The project's page itself is located at:
>>> https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Stephan
>>>

>> Hi Stephan!
>>
>> Can you show some screenshots o screencast, please?
>>
>> Thank you! ;)
>>
>> Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Great job. Looks really good. Is it possible to show all windows from
all work spaces?

--

 Willie Matthews
 [hidden email]

Am 27.11.2013 23:17, schrieb Willie Matthews:
> Great job. Looks really good. Is it possible to show all windows from
> all work spaces?
Not yet. I'm currently working on the workspace selector which will be
located at the right. When it is ready you will get an image per
workspace with all its windows like the pager panel plugin. I also want
to implement that you will be able to switch between the workspaces by
clicking on it and to move a window of the current workspace (from the
windows view) to any other workspace by dragging that window and
dropping it on the workspace image where to move it to.

The windows view will likely never show all windows of all workspaces.
Also it did not work the last time I tried it :(

El 27/11/13 22:04, Stephan Haller escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I cannot provide a screencast. I never have done this before ;)
>
> But what I can do is to write down a quick'n'dirty guide with
> screenshots :)
>
> Just go to http://gmc-holle.github.io/xfdashboard/

I like it!

Looks like great.

Good job!!!

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Hartmut Haase
Hi Stephan,
I tried to make your xfdashboard, but I got zhe following error messages:

   CCLD     xfdashboard
/usr/bin/ld: xfdashboard-fill-box-layout.o: undefined reference to
symbol 'ceilf@@GLIBC_2.0'
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
command line

Viele Grüße,
Hartmut

Hungerhilfe: http://www.thehungersite.com

Ohne Zensur suchen:
http://suche.amnesty-bergedorf.de
Googeln ohne Google:
https://www.startpage.com/deu

Das heutige Motto:
Niemand weiß, was er kann, wenn er es nicht versucht.

Am Montag, den 02.12.2013, 18:58 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Haase:
> Hi Stephan,
> I tried to make your xfdashboard, but I got zhe following error messages:
>
>    CCLD     xfdashboard
> /usr/bin/ld: xfdashboard-fill-box-layout.o: undefined reference to
> symbol 'ceilf@@GLIBC_2.0'
> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
> command line
Hi Harald,

thanks for your feed. It's sad that you couldn't build the application.
On the other side I'm surprised that the code compiled but doesn't
link.

What distribution do you use?

Could you please run "make clean && make V=1" and send me the last lines
(~30 lines) before the error is reported? I'm also interested in your
glibc version. "ls /lib32/libc-*.so"

Thanks,
Stephan

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Stephan Haller
Am Montag, den 02.12.2013, 18:58 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Haase:

> Hi Stephan,
> I tried to make your xfdashboard, but I got zhe following error messages:
>
>    CCLD     xfdashboard
> /usr/bin/ld: xfdashboard-fill-box-layout.o: undefined reference to
> symbol 'ceilf@@GLIBC_2.0'
> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
> command line

Or could you try the following? Maybe the code links then:

make distclean && ./autogen.sh LDFLAGS="-lm" && make

Thanks,
Stephan

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Roland Kuebert
Hi Stephan,

On 02.12.2013 21:37, Stephan Haller wrote:

> Am Montag, den 02.12.2013, 18:58 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Haase:
>> Hi Stephan,
>> I tried to make your xfdashboard, but I got zhe following error messages:
>>
>>     CCLD     xfdashboard
>> /usr/bin/ld: xfdashboard-fill-box-layout.o: undefined reference to
>> symbol 'ceilf@@GLIBC_2.0'
>> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
>> command line
>>
> Or could you try the following? Maybe the code links then:
>
> make distclean && ./autogen.sh LDFLAGS="-lm" && make

I had basically the same issue as Hartmut, the line above made for
successful compilation (and linking) and it's running fine now.

Cheers

Roland

Am Montag, den 02.12.2013, 23:01 +0100 schrieb Roland Kuebert:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> On 02.12.2013 21:37, Stephan Haller wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 02.12.2013, 18:58 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Haase:
> >> Hi Stephan,
> >> I tried to make your xfdashboard, but I got zhe following error messages:
> >>
> >>     CCLD     xfdashboard
> >> /usr/bin/ld: xfdashboard-fill-box-layout.o: undefined reference to
> >> symbol 'ceilf@@GLIBC_2.0'
> >> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
> >> command line
> >> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> >>
> > Or could you try the following? Maybe the code links then:
> >
> > make distclean && ./autogen.sh LDFLAGS="-lm" && make
>
> I had basically the same issue as Hartmut, the line above made for
> successful compilation (and linking) and it's running fine now.
Thanks for reporting and testing :) Corrected and updated in git now.

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Hartmut Haase
Hi Stephan,
> make distclean && ./autogen.sh LDFLAGS="-lm" && make
that did the job, thanks. I'm using Xubuntu 13.10.
--
Viele Grüße,
Hartmut

Hungerhilfe: http://www.thehungersite.com

Ohne Zensur suchen:
http://suche.amnesty-bergedorf.de
Googeln ohne Google:
https://www.startpage.com/deu

Das heutige Motto:
Solange die Farbe der Haut wichtiger ist als die Farbe der Augen,
wird es keinen Frieden geben auf der Erde (Bob Marley).

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Stephan Haller
Just in time for christmas I finished some features.

New is the notification actor which is shown when a favourite was added
to or removed from quicklaunch. A notification is also shown if starting
an application has failed.

Also new is the workspace selector which auto-expand if pointer in
entered this actor. The active workspace has a thick white border and
you scroll through the available workspace with your mouse-wheel. You
can also move windows from windows view and the active workspace to any
other workspace by drag'n'drop.

The workspace selector is a very basic one and not the one I want at the
end. But it's better than no one ;)

The downside of this new version is that I had to raise to minimum
version of libwnck required to 2.30. But each almost modern distribution
should ship it.

The new pre-release can be downloaded at:
https://github.com/gmc-holle/xfdashboard/releases/tag/v0.0.1-alpha_20131224

Merry christmas to all
Stephan

Re: Introducing preview of xfdashboard - a "gnome shell"-like dashboard for xfce

Jörg Preiß

Am Mittwoch, den 25.12.2013, 16:24 +0100 schrieb Jörg Preiß:
> Compiles and works fine. It has dependencies galore, though.
Thanks for testing and feedback :) Yes, it has some more dependencies but only clutter should be really the "least common" one.

> Maybe handling ESC as quit key would be an option, woudn't it?
Is on my TODO ;) This file is also included in tarball to give an insight what I still would like to include and what is done already.

> I've added it to my build script
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=31525#p31525
Nice script BTW :)