GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

adlo
I am writing a panel plugin based on xfce4-appfinder. It provides a GNOME Shell-like dashboard for Xfce:

https://github.com/adlocode/xfce4-lightdash-plugin

It uses XComposite and Cairo to get the window previews. The dashboard has a remote-event signal handler, so it can be opened with a keystroke or (presumably) using brightside.

Regards

adlo

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

Mark Trompell-2
> I am writing a panel plugin based on xfce4-appfinder. It provides a GNOME Shell-like dashboard for Xfce:

Did you look xfdashboard already?

> https://github.com/adlocode/xfce4-lightdash-plugin
>
> It uses XComposite and Cairo to get the window previews. The dashboard has a remote-event signal handler, so it can be opened with a keystroke or (presumably) using brightside.
>
> Regards
>
> adlo

Mark Trompell

Foresight Linux Xfce Edition
Cause your desktop should be freaking cool
(and Xfce)

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

adlo
> On 26 Aug 2015, at 12:45, Mark Trompell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you look xfdashboard already?

Yes, I am aware of xfdashboard, but I just thought I'd try writing one myself.

Regards

adlo

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

André Miranda-2
I've just tried your plugin, here are some glitches which prevents the
continued usage for me:
- the preferences button doesn't work
- when the preferences option is select from panel, just an empty window
is displayed and it freezes.
- when the dashboard is open and a window is selected on panel, the
dashboard just kinda shrinks for a moment but doesn't close
- when the dashboard is open, the Activities button on panel is totally gray

Besides the problems mentioned above, it needs more polishing, here is a
screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/9fc5wme.png

Cheers,
André Miranda

On 08/25/2015 06:29 PM, adlo wrote:

> I am writing a panel plugin based on xfce4-appfinder. It provides a GNOME Shell-like dashboard for Xfce:
>
> https://github.com/adlocode/xfce4-lightdash-plugin
>
> It uses XComposite and Cairo to get the window previews. The dashboard has a remote-event signal handler, so it can be opened with a keystroke or (presumably) using brightside.
>
> Regards
>
> adlo

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

adlo
Thanks for testing my program and giving feedback; it was very helpful.

Regards

adlo

> On 26 Aug 2015, at 16:14, André Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've just tried your plugin, here are some glitches which prevents the continued usage for me:
> - the preferences button doesn't work
> - when the preferences option is select from panel, just an empty window is displayed and it freezes.
> - when the dashboard is open and a window is selected on panel, the dashboard just kinda shrinks for a moment but doesn't close
> - when the dashboard is open, the Activities button on panel is totally gray
>
> Besides the problems mentioned above, it needs more polishing, here is a screenshot:
> http://i.imgur.com/9fc5wme.png
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
>> On 08/25/2015 06:29 PM, adlo wrote:
>> I am writing a panel plugin based on xfce4-appfinder. It provides a GNOME Shell-like dashboard for Xfce:
>>
>> https://github.com/adlocode/xfce4-lightdash-plugin
>>
>> It uses XComposite and Cairo to get the window previews. The dashboard has a remote-event signal handler, so it can be opened with a keystroke or (presumably) using brightside.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> adlo

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

adlo
> On 26 Aug 2015, at 16:14, André Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - when the preferences option is select from panel, just an empty window is displayed and it freezes.

I've narrowed the cause down to the GDK event filter, used for updating the previews when the windows' contents change, but I'm not sure how to resolve it. My program already has a check to prevent it from listening for events on its own window, in order to prevent infinite loops. This issue seems similar but also subtly different.

> - when the dashboard is open, the Activities button on panel is totally gray

I've removed a superfluous event box from the plugin; perhaps this may help?

Regards

adlo

Re: GNOME Shell-like dashboard as a panel plugin

adlo
I've made some changes to lightdash:

New features:

Support for transparency

Initial support for updating the previews when windows are resized

Todo:

Implement favourites buttons

Implement a pager with a fixed vertical orientation

Implement a method for varying the number of columns in the grid, in order to ensure that the window previews are always as large as possible and make the most efficient use of the space. It would be nice to have an algorithm that can calculate this value. I am not sure how I could do this; does anyone have any ideas?

Known bugs:

The preferences dialogue freezes.

The window switcher does not expand to fill the available space.

The bottom of the window switcher sometimes extends beyond the lower edge of the window, meaning that the bottom of the window switcher is not visible.

Regards

adlo