Desktop contains entire home directory after drive replacement

Desktop contains entire home directory after drive replacement

brian-350
This is a weird one. The drive containing my home directory was giving
errors, so I replaced the drive and copied over the entire /home tree
onto the new drive, then switched the mount points in /etc/fstab.

When I rebooted with the new configuration, suddenly my desktop (XFCE
4.12, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit) contains EVERY file and directory in my
home directory (and there are a lot of them!). I have searched in vain
for a logical pointing at the wrong place, the contents of my Desktop
folder are exactly as expected, I simply cannot think of what went
wrong during what should have been a routine drive replacement.

Does anybody have any ideas, please?

Brian.

Re: Desktop contains entire home directory after drive replacement

Ralf Mardorf
Hi,

please run

  ls -hAl ~ ~/Desktop > /tmp/ls-hAl.log

and attach the file /tmp/ls-hAl.log as well as /etc/fstab .

Regards,
Ralf

--
Vote for apulse!
echo $(w3m https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/apulse |grep 'Votes:    ')

Re: Desktop contains entire home directory after drive replacement

Vinzenz Vietzke
Hi Brian,

just a quick guess:
Did you check ~/.config/user.dirs if something got messed up?

Regards,
vinz.

Am 19. Juni 2017 09:16:46 MESZ schrieb brian <[hidden email]>:

>This is a weird one. The drive containing my home directory was giving
>errors, so I replaced the drive and copied over the entire /home tree
>onto the new drive, then switched the mount points in /etc/fstab.
>
>When I rebooted with the new configuration, suddenly my desktop (XFCE
>4.12, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit) contains EVERY file and directory in my
>home directory (and there are a lot of them!). I have searched in vain
>for a logical pointing at the wrong place, the contents of my Desktop
>folder are exactly as expected, I simply cannot think of what went
>wrong during what should have been a routine drive replacement.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas, please?
>
>Brian.

Re: Desktop contains entire home directory after drive replacement

Chris Green-2
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 03:16:46AM -0400, brian wrote:

> This is a weird one. The drive containing my home directory was giving
> errors, so I replaced the drive and copied over the entire /home tree
> onto the new drive, then switched the mount points in /etc/fstab.
>
> When I rebooted with the new configuration, suddenly my desktop (XFCE
> 4.12, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit) contains EVERY file and directory in my
> home directory (and there are a lot of them!). I have searched in vain
> for a logical pointing at the wrong place, the contents of my Desktop
> folder are exactly as expected, I simply cannot think of what went
> wrong during what should have been a routine drive replacement.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas, please?

Yes, you copied /home/<user> to <user>/Desktop when you did the copy!  :-)

It's very easily done.

--
Chris Green

On 06/19/2017 04:15 AM, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 03:16:46AM -0400, brian wrote:
>> This is a weird one. The drive containing my home directory was giving
>> errors, so I replaced the drive and copied over the entire /home tree
>> onto the new drive, then switched the mount points in /etc/fstab.
>>
>> When I rebooted with the new configuration, suddenly my desktop (XFCE
>> 4.12, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit) contains EVERY file and directory in my
>> home directory (and there are a lot of them!). I have searched in vain
>> for a logical pointing at the wrong place, the contents of my Desktop
>> folder are exactly as expected, I simply cannot think of what went
>> wrong during what should have been a routine drive replacement.
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas, please?
>>
> Yes, you copied /home/<user> to <user>/Desktop when you did the copy!  :-)
>
> It's very easily done.

Possibly, but not this time. The contents of ~/Desktop are exactly as
expected.

On 06/19/2017 04:06 AM, Vinzenz Vietzke wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> just a quick guess:
> Did you check ~/.config/user.dirs if something got messed up?

Thank you Vinz, that was it. How the various subdirectories got
dropped off the end of the line I do not understand - I certainly
never edited that file - but that was it, almost everything was
pointed just at $HOME.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 06:17:41AM -0400, brian wrote:

> On 06/19/2017 04:15 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 03:16:46AM -0400, brian wrote:
> >> This is a weird one. The drive containing my home directory was giving
> >> errors, so I replaced the drive and copied over the entire /home tree
> >> onto the new drive, then switched the mount points in /etc/fstab.
> >>
> >> When I rebooted with the new configuration, suddenly my desktop (XFCE
> >> 4.12, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit) contains EVERY file and directory in my
> >> home directory (and there are a lot of them!). I have searched in vain
> >> for a logical pointing at the wrong place, the contents of my Desktop
> >> folder are exactly as expected, I simply cannot think of what went
> >> wrong during what should have been a routine drive replacement.
> >>
> >> Does anybody have any ideas, please?
> >>
> > Yes, you copied /home/<user> to <user>/Desktop when you did the copy!  :-)
> >
> > It's very easily done.
> >

> Possibly, but not this time. The contents of ~/Desktop are exactly as
> expected.

Ay?  So what is wrong then?  You mean ~/Desktop has what should be in
it but the 'actual' desktop on screen has zillions of files on it?  If
so then the other suggestion that there's something amiss with
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs would seem to be the most likely explanation.

--
Chris Green