Calculate optimum number of columns for table

Calculate optimum number of columns for table

adlo
I am writing a program that displays previews of all open windows in a grid/table. Depending on factors such as the dimensions of the grid and the number of previews displayed, it would be useful to dynamically change the number of columns/rows in the grid, in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible while making the best use of the available space.

For example, when there are only a few previews, the number of columns and rows can be reduced in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible. However, if there are a lot of previews and there is some extra horizontal space, the number of columns should be increased.

It would be useful to have an algorithm that could calculate the optimum number of columns. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards

adlo

Re: Calculate optimum number of columns for table

Stephan Haller
Hi adlo,

I have this problem either in xfdashboard. I learned that this is a
"packing problem", sometimes also called "bin packing problem" or "box
packing problem".

I haven't implemented any of these algorithm yet, so I cannot say if it
really helps and how hard it is to implement. But I think you could
start your search there.

Regards,
Stephan

Am Montag, den 07.09.2015, 16:15 +0100 schrieb adlo:

> I am writing a program that displays previews of all open windows in a grid/table. Depending on factors such as the dimensions of the grid and the number of previews displayed, it would be useful to dynamically change the number of columns/rows in the grid, in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible while making the best use of the available space.
>
> For example, when there are only a few previews, the number of columns and rows can be reduced in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible. However, if there are a lot of previews and there is some extra horizontal space, the number of columns should be increased.
>
> It would be useful to have an algorithm that could calculate the optimum number of columns. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Regards
>
> adlo

Re: Calculate optimum number of columns for table

Stephan Haller
BTW: This is the algorith I decided to give a first try when I'm going
to implement it into xfdashboard. It's javascript but should be ported
to C easily.

http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2011/5/7/bin_packing/

I hope it helps.

Am Montag, den 07.09.2015, 19:42 +0200 schrieb Stephan Haller:

> Hi adlo,
>
> I have this problem either in xfdashboard. I learned that this is a
> "packing problem", sometimes also called "bin packing problem" or "box
> packing problem".
>
> I haven't implemented any of these algorithm yet, so I cannot say if it
> really helps and how hard it is to implement. But I think you could
> start your search there.
>
> Regards,
> Stephan
>
> Am Montag, den 07.09.2015, 16:15 +0100 schrieb adlo:
> > I am writing a program that displays previews of all open windows in a grid/table. Depending on factors such as the dimensions of the grid and the number of previews displayed, it would be useful to dynamically change the number of columns/rows in the grid, in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible while making the best use of the available space.
> >
> > For example, when there are only a few previews, the number of columns and rows can be reduced in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible. However, if there are a lot of previews and there is some extra horizontal space, the number of columns should be increased.
> >
> > It would be useful to have an algorithm that could calculate the optimum number of columns. Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > adlo

Re: Calculate optimum number of columns for table

adlo
At the moment, xfdashboard seems to increase the number of columns as the number of windows increases. What algorithm is it using to do this?

> On 7 Sep 2015, at 18:54, Stephan Haller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW: This is the algorith I decided to give a first try when I'm going
> to implement it into xfdashboard. It's javascript but should be ported
> to C easily.
>
> http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2011/5/7/bin_packing/
>
> I hope it helps.
>

> Am Montag, den 07.09.2015, 19:42 +0200 schrieb Stephan Haller:
>> Hi adlo,
>>
>> I have this problem either in xfdashboard. I learned that this is a
>> "packing problem", sometimes also called "bin packing problem" or "box
>> packing problem".
>>
>> I haven't implemented any of these algorithm yet, so I cannot say if it
>> really helps and how hard it is to implement. But I think you could
>> start your search there.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stephan
>>
>> Am Montag, den 07.09.2015, 16:15 +0100 schrieb adlo:
>>> I am writing a program that displays previews of all open windows in a grid/table. Depending on factors such as the dimensions of the grid and the number of previews displayed, it would be useful to dynamically change the number of columns/rows in the grid, in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible while making the best use of the available space.
>>>
>>> For example, when there are only a few previews, the number of columns and rows can be reduced in order to ensure that the previews are as large as possible. However, if there are a lot of previews and there is some extra horizontal space, the number of columns should be increased.
>>>
>>> It would be useful to have an algorithm that could calculate the optimum number of columns. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> adlo

Re: Calculate optimum number of columns for table

Stephan Haller
It is a very simple one. It tries to spread all visible children evenly
into rows and colums.

http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfdashboard/tree/xfdashboard/scaled-table-layo
ut.c#n125