Adding printing to XFC

Bo Lorentsen
Now next step, printing :

I have been missing a uniform printing platform on the *nux platform for
quite some time and the new GTK+ version (=< 2.10) just seems like one
real nice interface (pango/cairo).

I thought about making this a bugzilla entry, but it did not seem right
when I tried. I may end up making an Wiki page or two instead, if this
is possible :-)

So, my idea for XFC info is :

* Web page for documentation and reference.
* Wiki for FAQ and on going development
* Bugzilla for bug reports :-)

To the printing plan :

The GTK+ printing system have been added to in 2.10 and after, and to
make it easy to print using XFC this need to be wrapped and supported.

The wrapping will be a more and less basic wrapper, and the package will
contain at least one example.

automake/conf must be able to detect if printing is supported (Gtk >=
2.10), to be able to support older GTK versions.

Any input ?

/BL

Re: Adding printing to XFC

sofar
Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Now next step, printing :
>
> I have been missing a uniform printing platform on the *nux platform for
> quite some time and the new GTK+ version (=< 2.10) just seems like one
> real nice interface (pango/cairo).
>
> I thought about making this a bugzilla entry, but it did not seem right
> when I tried. I may end up making an Wiki page or two instead, if this
> is possible :-)
>
> So, my idea for XFC info is :
>
> * Web page for documentation and reference.
> * Wiki for FAQ and on going development

you can combine those, but some prefer to keep them separate. I'd say that the
current documentation is pretty good in itself so try to keep that model.

> * Bugzilla for bug reports :-)

yes, the component (XFC) is already there, so just start using it :)

> To the printing plan :
>
> The GTK+ printing system have been added to in 2.10 and after, and to
> make it easy to print using XFC this need to be wrapped and supported.
>
> The wrapping will be a more and less basic wrapper, and the package will
> contain at least one example.
>
> automake/conf must be able to detect if printing is supported (Gtk >=
> 2.10), to be able to support older GTK versions.
>
> Any input ?

sounds great!

Auke

Re: Adding printing to XFC

Bo Lorentsen
Kok, Auke wrote:
>> * Web page for documentation and reference.
>> * Wiki for FAQ and on going development
>
> you can combine those, but some prefer to keep them separate. I'd say that the
> current documentation is pretty good in itself so try to keep that model.
Documentation is not my strong side, but I like what Jeff have done so
far and will try to keep and expand it that way.

But my view is that the "dynamic" part of the documentation, makes more
sense to keep in wiki, and if it matures i will move it to a more pure
html like the rest.

> yes, the component (XFC) is already there, so just start using it :)
I have noticed ... thanks.

> sounds great!
Just found that this task included wrapping of cairo too, so I will go
back to work :-)

/BL