About building and testing Xfce

R. Diez
Hi all:

I wanted to start experimenting with Xfce, so I took a look at this page:

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/building

The first thing I noticed is that those instructions are not in the
Wiki, so I guess that not many people can update them.

The special build instructions for xfce4-dev-tools seem unnecessary, as
this repository has an autogen.sh too, which works in the same way as
all other repositories.

As a first step I wrote the following build script:

https://github.com/rdiez/Tools/tree/master/Xfce

I am running Xfce at the moment, but I am building a newer version from
Git into a separate directory. I want to test the just-built components,
but I do not want to risk destroying my current desktop, so I do not
want to permanently replace any of the system components. How do you
develop Xfce yourselves without risking system breakage?

Thanks in advance,
   rdiez

Re: About building and testing Xfce

Jari Rahkonen
29.01.2017, 13:14, R. Diez wrote:
> Hi all:

Hi,

> I am running Xfce at the moment, but I am building a newer version from
> Git into a separate directory. I want to test the just-built components,
> but I do not want to risk destroying my current desktop, so I do not
> want to permanently replace any of the system components. How do you
> develop Xfce yourselves without risking system breakage?

A virtual machine is a safe solution for testing and easy to set up. The
only real drawback is the disk space overhead.

> Thanks in advance,
>   rdiez

HTH,
Jari