ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Viktor Odintsev
xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 is now available for download from
 
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin/0.8/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.8.0.tar.bz2
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin/0.8/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.8.0.tar.bz2.md5
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin/0.8/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.8.0.tar.bz2.sha1
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin/0.8/xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.8.0.tar.bz2.sha256


What is xfce4-xkb-plugin?
=========================

XKB layout switching panel plug-in for the Xfce desktop environment

Website:
  http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin


Release notes for 0.8.0
=======================
* New version 0.8.0
* New plugin is not compatible with previous versions;
  you will have to add and configure it again!
* Port to GTK+3
* Add xfconf support
* Add new "system" layout style
* Allow adjusting widget size
* Allow displaying language name instead of country name
* Allow hiding tooltip icon
* Load flags from XDG_DATA_HOME if present
* Translation updates: ar ast bg ca cs da de el en_AU es fr he hr hu
  id is it ja kk ko lt ms nb nl oc pl pt pt_BR ru sk sr sv th tr ug uk
  zh_CN zh_TW
* Fix Indian flag filename
* Fix charset for layout names
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Evangelos Foutras
On 16 June 2017 at 20:41, Viktor Odintsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * New plugin is not compatible with previous versions;
>   you will have to add and configure it again!

What causes the incompatibility with 0.7.x? If it's the switch to
xfconf, couldn't this be solved by migrating the settings over from
the config file?
_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Viktor Odintsev
There are two reasons:

1. Migration to xfconf as you supposed. After a little discussion in
#xfce-dev I decided that migration for this small amount of settings
will be overkill.
2. Plugin is external now. For me this transition caused automatic
removal of this plugin because it has the different name and the
different launch method in terms of panel (at least I guess so). There
is even no place to include migration code if I wanted to.

On 17/06/17 08:17, Evangelos Foutras wrote:

> On 16 June 2017 at 20:41, Viktor Odintsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * New plugin is not compatible with previous versions;
>>    you will have to add and configure it again!
> What causes the incompatibility with 0.7.x? If it's the switch to
> xfconf, couldn't this be solved by migrating the settings over from
> the config file?
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Evangelos Foutras
On 17 June 2017 at 08:58, Viktor Odintsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
2. Plugin is external now. For me this transition caused automatic removal of this plugin because it has the different name and the different launch method in terms of panel (at least I guess so). There is even no place to include migration code if I wanted to.

The plugin removal seems to have to do with the .desktop filename being different. Changing it back to xkb-plugin.desktop allows it to survive the upgrade and panel restart. Settings are still not retained (as expected).

It seems like it should be possible to provide a smooth upgrade path; any plans to do so or would that be asking for too much? I am holding off updating xfce4-xkb-plugin in Arch Linux in hopes of not having to require reconfiguration from users after this update.

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Viktor Odintsev
I think a panel plugin with 3 settings is not so serious component to
worry too much about migration. In new version I've also introduced some
new options.

So I think it'll be acceptable to leave it as it is.

On 17/06/17 21:13, Evangelos Foutras wrote:

> On 17 June 2017 at 08:58, Viktor Odintsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2. Plugin is external now. For me this transition caused automatic removal
>> of this plugin because it has the different name and the different launch
>> method in terms of panel (at least I guess so). There is even no place to
>> include migration code if I wanted to.
>>
> The plugin removal seems to have to do with the .desktop filename being
> different. Changing it back to xkb-plugin.desktop allows it to survive the
> upgrade and panel restart. Settings are still not retained (as expected).
>
> It seems like it should be possible to provide a smooth upgrade path; any
> plans to do so or would that be asking for too much? I am holding off
> updating xfce4-xkb-plugin in Arch Linux in hopes of not having to require
> reconfiguration from users after this update.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-xkb-plugin 0.8.0 released

Evangelos Foutras
On 17 June 2017 at 22:53, Viktor Odintsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think a panel plugin with 3 settings is not so serious component to worry too much about migration. In new version I've also introduced some new options.

So I think it'll be acceptable to leave it as it is.

Yes; as discussed on IRC, it's not the end of the world. (Though it would be nice not to require any manual steps.)

I might poke around the code a bit myself, but I'll probably just roll with the plugin in its current released form.

Cheers for porting it to GTK+ 3 by the way. :)

_______________________________________________
Xfce mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
http://www.xfce.org
Loading...