Quantcast

ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

Mike Massonnet-3
xfce4-vala 4.10.2 is now available for download from

  http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.md5
  http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.sha1

  SHA1 checksum: c4558d5761d9150f3d5b79ffd1b1f8a6f751095f
   MD5 checksum: afcca7cb5ae84b9a9a621a352eaf59c4

What is xfce4-vala?
===================

Xfce4 Vala provides bindings for the Xfce framework.

Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern programming
language features to GNOME developers without imposing any additional
runtime requirements and without using a different ABI compared to
applications and libraries written in C.

http://wiki.xfce.org/vala-bindings

Website:
  http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/bindings/start

Release notes for 4.10.2

no window border update

Ray Andrews
Guys,

Just a note on that issue I had a while back about my window borders
disappearing after an upgrade of LMDE.  FWIW, I've just started playing
with Salix 14.0 which has Xfce 4.10 and Xorg 1.12.3, and my window
borders are all there.  Given how many layers of software run our
computers one never knows for sure which layer is to 'blame' for some
glitches, but it would seem that in this case the fault is not with
Xfce, but probably with Mint. Maybe.

Re: no window border update

Satyajit Sahoo
There were some updates to the window borders in Greybird by Simon. Most probably that has fixed the issue.

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, Ray Andrews wrote:
Guys,

Just a note on that issue I had a while back about my window borders disappearing after an upgrade of LMDE.  FWIW, I've just started playing with Salix 14.0 which has Xfce 4.10 and Xorg 1.12.3, and my window borders are all there.  Given how many layers of software run our computers one never knows for sure which layer is to 'blame' for some glitches, but it would seem that in this case the fault is not with Xfce, but probably with Mint. Maybe.

Satyajit Sahoo
Profile - FacebookGoogle+
Artwork - DeviantArt

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

Liviu Andronic
Dear all,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Mike Massonnet
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> xfce4-vala 4.10.2 is now available for download from
>
>   http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2

I am trying to compile xfce4-vala 4.10.2 but I end up with the following:

>/home/liv/Build/xfce4-vala-4.10.2/configure  (11090)
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for VALA... yes
checking for valac... valac
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating xfce4-vala.pc
>/home/liv/Build/xfce4-vala-4.10.2/configure (11090) returned '0'

>make  (11591)
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>make (11591) returned '0'

Does this mean that the compilation fails? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Liviu

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

Mike Massonnet-3

Hi Liviu,

Le 3 févr. 2013 16:53, "Liviu Andronic" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Mike Massonnet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > xfce4-vala 4.10.2 is now available for download from
> >
> >   http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2
> >
> I am trying to compile xfce4-vala 4.10.2 but I end up with the following:
>
> >/home/liv/Build/xfce4-vala-4.10.2/configure  (11090)
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for VALA... yes
> checking for valac... valac
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating xfce4-vala.pc
> >/home/liv/Build/xfce4-vala-4.10.2/configure (11090) returned '0'
>
> >make  (11591)
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> >make (11591) returned '0'
>

> Does this mean that the compilation fails? Am I doing something wrong?

There is no source to be compiled, just run make install. The pkg-config file will get installed, and the VAPI files.

> Regards,
> Liviu

- m

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Mike Massonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2
>> >

> There is no source to be compiled, just run make install. The pkg-config
> file will get installed, and the VAPI files.

For info, I packaged xfce4-vala for Ubuntu on my PPA. [1]
[1] https://launchpad.net/~landronimirc/+archive/xfce

Regards,
Liviu

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

John Culleton-3
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 03:23:55 +0200
Mike Massonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> xfce4-vala 4.10.2 is now available for download from
>
>   http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2
>   http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.md5
>   http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.sha1
>
>   SHA1 checksum: c4558d5761d9150f3d5b79ffd1b1f8a6f751095f
>    MD5 checksum: afcca7cb5ae84b9a9a621a352eaf59c4
>

> What is xfce4-vala?
> ===================
>
> Xfce4 Vala provides bindings for the Xfce framework.
>
> Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern
> programming language features to GNOME developers without imposing
> any additional runtime requirements and without using a different ABI
> compared to applications and libraries written in C.
>
> http://wiki.xfce.org/vala-bindings
>
> Website:
>   http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/bindings/start
>

> Release notes for 4.10.2

Apparently one must download and install Yet Another
Language to use this package. I already have
half a dozen languages on my box.
Will future versions of XFCE require Vala?
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

Maximilien Noal
Le 03/03/2013 16:01, john Culleton a écrit :

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 03:23:55 +0200
> Mike Massonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> xfce4-vala 4.10.2 is now available for download from
>>
>>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2
>>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.md5
>>    http://archive.xfce.org/src/bindings/xfce4-vala/4.10/xfce4-vala-4.10.2.tar.bz2.sha1
>>
>>    SHA1 checksum: c4558d5761d9150f3d5b79ffd1b1f8a6f751095f
>>     MD5 checksum: afcca7cb5ae84b9a9a621a352eaf59c4
>>

>> What is xfce4-vala?
>> ===================
>>
>> Xfce4 Vala provides bindings for the Xfce framework.
>>
>> Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern
>> programming language features to GNOME developers without imposing
>> any additional runtime requirements and without using a different ABI
>> compared to applications and libraries written in C.
>>
>> http://wiki.xfce.org/vala-bindings
>>
>> Website:
>>    http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/bindings/start
>>

>> Release notes for 4.10.2
>
> Apparently one must download and install Yet Another
> Language to use this package. I already have
> half a dozen languages on my box.
> Will future versions of XFCE require Vala?
No because Vala compiles to C and C only. Which is used to form binaries.

Vala is just C with syntactic sugar.

Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-vala 4.10.2 released

Mike Massonnet-4
2013/3/3 Maximilien Noal <[hidden email]>:

> Le 03/03/2013 16:01, john Culleton a écrit :
>>
>> Apparently one must download and install Yet Another
>> Language to use this package. I already have
>> half a dozen languages on my box.
>> Will future versions of XFCE require Vala?
>
> No because Vala compiles to C and C only. Which is used to form binaries.
>
> Vala is just C with syntactic sugar.

Right.

Plus a release of a Vala application is usually provided with CCode
(it doesn't have to but it makes things easier,) so that you don't
need Vala if you compile from published releases. But obviously you
will need Vala if you build from the dev repo.

And NO, you don't need anything to install this package. It just
provides a bunch of plain text files (pkgconfig file and VAPI files.)

 - m