ACLs and Thunar

Paul van der Vlis
Hello,

I am the sysadmin of a thin-client server, where posix ACLs are used.

When a user opens Thunar, many folders look-like closed (you see a red
cross), but they are open because of the ACLs. They can go inside and do
what they like, but the "look" is wrong.

I know that Thunar can do this the right way, my customer has an old
Slackware machine where it works fine on the same data-set.

I've copied the /etc/xfce4 directory of the old Slackware machine where
it is working fine to the new machine with Debian. But no success..

Somebody an idea on how to do this?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

https://www.vandervlis.nl/

https://www.vandervlis.nl/

Re: ACLs and Thunar

Alexander Schwinn
Hi Paul,

I did not find any reference regarding POSIX-1003.1e in the thunar code
(neither in Nautilus).

Not sure if thunar needs to add specific support for it, or if that
should come from the underlying OS ? Possibly related to gvfs ?

Which thunar version is used on the Slackware machine ?

You could try to compile the same thunar version from source on the
debian machine to check if it is a thunar issue at all.

If so, please open a bug for it on https://bugzilla.xfce.org

Thanks & Cheers,

Alex

On 06.05.19 14:40, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am the sysadmin of a thin-client server, where posix ACLs are used.
>
> When a user opens Thunar, many folders look-like closed (you see a red
> cross), but they are open because of the ACLs. They can go inside and do
> what they like, but the "look" is wrong.
>
> I know that Thunar can do this the right way, my customer has an old
> Slackware machine where it works fine on the same data-set.
>
> I've copied the /etc/xfce4 directory of the old Slackware machine where
> it is working fine to the new machine with Debian. But no success..
>
> Somebody an idea on how to do this?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis

Re: ACLs and Thunar

Paul van der Vlis
Hi Alex,

Sorry for my very late answer.

Op 06-05-19 om 21:14 schreef Alex:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I did not find any reference regarding POSIX-1003.1e in the thunar code
> (neither in Nautilus).
>
> Not sure if thunar needs to add specific support for it, or if that
> should come from the underlying OS ?

I don't know...

> Possibly related to gvfs ?

On the new Debian machine gvfs works fine for so far I see.

> Which thunar version is use on the Slackware machine ?

Hmm, not sure how to find that out via SSH.

It's the version what comes with Slackware 14.1 what's dated 2013-11-04,
so it must be older then that.

> You could try to compile the same thunar version from source on the
> debian machine to check if it is a thunar issue at all.
>
> If so, please open a bug for it on https://bugzilla.xfce.org

I see some other things in the filesystem I don't understand. First I
will look at that. Maybe it's a GlusterFS problem.

Thanks for your help!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

> Thanks & Cheers,
>
> Alex
>

> On 06.05.19 14:40, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am the sysadmin of a thin-client server, where posix ACLs are used.
>>
>> When a user opens Thunar, many folders look-like closed (you see a red
>> cross), but they are open because of the ACLs. They can go inside and do
>> what they like, but the "look" is wrong.
>>
>> I know that Thunar can do this the right way, my customer has an old
>> Slackware machine where it works fine on the same data-set.
>>
>> I've copied the /etc/xfce4 directory of the old Slackware machine where
>> it is working fine to the new machine with Debian. But no success..
>>
>> Somebody an idea on how to do this?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul van der Vlis

https://www.vandervlis.nl/

Re: ACLs and Thunar

Scott Morgan-2
On 15/05/2019 13:06, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Which thunar version is use on the Slackware machine ?
>
> Hmm, not sure how to find that out via SSH.

Assuming it's from a standard Slackware package:

ls /var/log/packages | grep -i thunar

On Slackware64 14.2 I see:

Thunar-1.6.10-x86_64-3
thunar-volman-0.8.1-x86_64-2

Scott

Re: ACLs and Thunar

Paul van der Vlis
Op 15-05-19 om 15:48 schreef Scott Morgan:
> ls /var/log/packages | grep -i thunar

Thunar-1.6.11-x86_64-2McD
thunar-archive-plugin-0.3.1-x86_64-1_SBo
thunar-volman-0.8.0-x86_64-1

Thanks!

Paul van der Vlis

https://www.vandervlis.nl/

Re: ACLs and Thunar

Paul van der Vlis
Op 15-05-19 om 14:06 schreef Paul van der Vlis:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Sorry for my very late answer.
>
> Op 06-05-19 om 21:14 schreef Alex:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I did not find any reference regarding POSIX-1003.1e in the thunar code
>> (neither in Nautilus).
>>
>> Not sure if thunar needs to add specific support for it, or if that
>> should come from the underlying OS ?
>
> I don't know...
>
>> Possibly related to gvfs ?
>
> On the new Debian machine gvfs works fine for so far I see.
>
>> Which thunar version is use on the Slackware machine ?
>
> Hmm, not sure how to find that out via SSH.
>
> It's the version what comes with Slackware 14.1 what's dated 2013-11-04,
> so it must be older then that.
>
>> You could try to compile the same thunar version from source on the
>> debian machine to check if it is a thunar issue at all.
>>
>> If so, please open a bug for it on https://bugzilla.xfce.org
>
> I see some other things in the filesystem I don't understand. First I
> will look at that. Maybe it's a GlusterFS problem.

They are working directly on GlusterFS data (a "brick" in GlusterFS
terms), and GlusterFS wants that you use a client to work on data.
The old Slackware machine is the brick. I am working now on a
Glusterfs-client.

I have seen strange problems when they rename directories on the brick.
These directories are empty on the clients. And I have also seen
different icons in Thunar.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

https://www.vandervlis.nl/